Sulphur notes in Lager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sulphur notes in Lager

I am having a consistent problem with sulphur falvor and aroma in my lager. I am using White Labs German Lager Strain. I had switched to their San Fran Lager Strain and had no problems but I switched back to the German Lager in order to build it up for our annual Dopplebock (san fran won't attenuate enough for the dopplebock) I ferment at 52F then do a 48hr Diacetyl rest at 60 and cool 5 degrees a day until I hit 32 where (hopefully) I can Lager it for at least 30 days. I always have a problem with sulphur notes whether I lager for a long time or short. I use a good yeast nutrient and get adequate oxygenation, my ferments are strong, but always the sulphur with this strain. I will switch back after this batch runs its course but in the meantime any suggestions? White labs reccomended a rest at 65 for two days and extended lagering and in a pinch scrub with CO2. I filter the current batch tommorrow so any quick comments on the CO2 scrubbing would help.
    Big Willey
    "You are what you is." FZ

Sulphur

To correct my post the, flavor I am getting is acetaldehyde (green apple) with slight sulphur notes. As I was tasting samples I realized my mistake.
    Big Willey
    "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

Sulfur removal

I don't know if this of any help, but I heard from an english company, Buckley, that produces sulfur strippers. These strippers remove the sulfur from the beer using an electrical current. I don't know if any of you had any experience with this technique?

Comment

Apple Matchstik Bok

Remember that lagers and strong beers need a higher pitching rate for fermentation. Factors influenceing Acy. or sulpher may not always be indicated by a long lag or attenuation time. I cast out about 12bbl on my 10 bbl system. For a bok I need to cut it to 10 or less to get the OG. But I pitch the same amount of yeast as a full batch. As for barleywine, I do a 1/2 batch but again pitch the same amount of yeast. 1x10-6 (x deg, plato over 14) is a good standby if you have a lab......
        Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
        tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
        "Your results may vary"

Comment

Do you have a way of checking yeast count/viability in the fermenter?

I would suggest (although I'm not familiar with this yeast strain, so I really don't know) the following:

1. Check your pitch/viability rate
          2. Check your oxygenation...maybe up it a bit
          3. Consider lowering your pitching temp, and lengthening the time before you move the beer to 0.
          4. Slow the "crash" to 32....in other words, don't exceed a 2 degree drop per day.

IMHO, you are pitching this beer rather warm, and you aren't giving the yeast enough time to reduce all of the compounds that are formed in greater amounts at higher temperatures.

Just an opinion...again, I'm not familiar with this strain.

Comment

I use the same strain. I have had luck with starting my fermentation at 70 and then dropping to 60 over 2 days once active. From everything that I've read this eliminates the need for a diacytal rest with the initial higher temp. I've used this with 4 different lager brews (2 house regulars) and have been very happy with the results.

Bill

Comment

Did you get this figured out? If not, try lagering longer if possible. 3-4 months is not unreasonable to lose the sulfur.
              "Corporations have been enthroned. An era of corruption in high places will follow and the money power will endeavor to prolong its reign by working on the prejudices of the people until wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed. " - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I find if I let my ferment build up pressure to about 50 kpa, then blow off the pressure very rapiedly to 0kpa, the sulpher is blown off, I do this 2-3 times in the ferment depending on the response I get.
                MIKE S

Comment

Working...
                X