Chicago Crooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago Crooks

Please everyone read this article, and soak it in.

I'm trying to start up in this market. What do you think? The article makes GI look unsympathetic to craft brewers troubles.

5.3% of Chicago is a lot more people than 6.3% of most markets. Illegal tap line competition happens everywhere, although probably not as rampantly as Chicago. I'd get ready for some frustration, but this article shouldn't be a deal-breaker for you.

Joe

Comment

I have seen 'inducements' from large breweries to publicans in many, but not all, markets. They are, I think perhaps, the norm rather than the exception in dense, lucrative markets. This is unfortunate. Small players will never have the deep pockets of larger enterprises. This, obviously, skews the competitive playing field in such markets.

But so does advertising. And shelf talkers, and table tents, and any point of sale related to beer. I even heard recently that Bud was giving away some enormous quantity of beer in lieu of marketing. Free hats, bottle openers, t-shirts, playing cards etc in cases of beer are 'inducements' at the retail level.

I agree it is perhaps more frustrating to small producers when it is encountered at the licensee level. It is particularly sad to see publicans go down that road.

The only way the practice of licensee inducement will change is through monitoring and enforcement of existing laws by competent authorities.

Don't let this dissuade you from moving forward in your market. It may merely take more time and effort than you have anticipated. I find that's pretty true about virtually everything in the brewing world.

Take the high road.

The low road is feckin' muddy and currently occupied by scumbags.

Good luck.

Pax.

Liam
      Last edited by liammckenna; 11-26-2010, 07:15 AM.
      Liam McKenna
      www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

The Chicago Way

I spent over 30 years in Chi-Town and just left in 2005 and I can attest you will find the playing field in bars and clubs just as the article said. I played professionally in one of the best rock bands in the city from the early 80's to the 90's and it was pay to play even for bands that were new. These clubs and restaurants have the outfit boys keeping track of who gets what. Try and get any non-union work done in your place and you probably will end up seeing the doctor or worse.
        Steve

Comment

Working...
        X