Those Pesky Flow Meters!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those Pesky Flow Meters!

We have had to send in our digital flow meter every year to have parts replaced. It seems to always leak and run out of batteries. I would love to hear about any type of flow meter that you Pro brewers are using. We usually only use it for cold filtering and racking but would also like to use it as we knock out. We would prefer the ability to use hot PBW (caustic) on it as well as acid. Any ideas or help would be much appreciated!

Kai Adams
    Sebago Brewing Company!
    Kai Adams
    Sebago Brewing Company
    www.sebagobrewing.com

Hi,

An instrument like this should last a number of years in a brewery environment before needing help (unless the electronics get wet!).

I would suggest getting a magflow meter - there are many different manufacturers - endress and hauser, yokogawa, emerson, krohne, foxboro, etc. The important thing is to be sure to let the sales engineer know what processes you will be using it on - chemicals, concentrations, temperatures. This will ensure that the materials will be correct. For instance, when I worked in chemicals, we needed ones that were flanged with a teflon lining and had recessed platinum electrodes. If you want to use it more than one place, get it in a 240VAC version (or 120VAC in the US?) rather than 24VDC and then you can just plug it in where you need it.

Cheers,

Alex

Comment

Flow meters

One more issue: Calibation......
      One way is to flow into a known vessle, Like a 5 gallon bucket, but is this accurate over long flows? Is there other ways?
      Ted-
      Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
      tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
      "Your results may vary"

Comment

Calibration

Not to sound like a smart-ass, but how about using a bigger bucket? Or maybe just more fills.

Most of the inaccuracies I've seen with these meters is at the beginning and the end of a flow cycle. At steady state, they are much better (putting then in relative proximity to the valve helps too if you have a huge pipe run).

S

Comment

hi,

with magflows for example, they should come with a calibration certificate from the manufacturer. however, they will only work well if the flow tube is full - you may notice that they drift if left sitting empty, but will regain the correct signal when flow is introduced (this can be overcome with a low flow cut-out, which can be specified with some). for a proper calibration, the unit needs to go back to the manufacturer where they test it on certified rig.

- alex

Comment

Working...
          X