Keg Mix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keg Mix

Hi all, we are planning on starting production in April on a small scale. Any recommendations on the mix of kes to acquire int he begininning? i.e. % of 1/2bbl vs. 1/6bbl? I've talked to several retailers and there doesn't seem to be a significant majority one way or the other.

Thanks.
    Rob Croxall
    El Segundo Brewing Co, LLC

Starting out I'd go heavy on 1/6 bbls. It's less of a commitment to an account to try out a new beer in a 1/6 bbl size, and if it sells well, having it in smaller kegs gives the bar staff a sense that they are changing out a keg on that new beer pretty often. We usually start out in a new market in mostly 1/6 bbls and add 1/2 bbls for the accounts that start asking for it in that size.
    Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Nashville, TN
    www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Personally, I think sixth barrels suck ass. Starting out I would only use slim quarter barrels. If an account has room for a sixth, they have room for a slim qt. Buy 1/2's only when you have enough accounts that require them.
      Last edited by HinduKush; 12-22-2010, 09:49 AM.
      Cheers!
      David R. Pierce

Comment

To echo was Linus said, I know for the bar owners in our area, it allows them to keep fresher beer, for a new account it can take weeks to move a 1/2 until patrons pick up on it. However to echo what Hindu said its a pain because you need 3 transactions to supply the same volume as a 1/2, plus if your using a microstar its more expense as well. However if you can market and your beer is good, it should be a quick transition.

Comment

I was hoping to find out some more opinions.

I know this is an old thread, but I am in the process of deciding what allotment of kegs to buy. 40% 1/6, 60% 1/2 or 60% 1/4, 40% 1/2...etc.

Comment

keg sizes

This was the biggest mistake that I made. I was told by many folks to buy 10 percent halfs and 90 percent sixths. I was using five kegs per handle and my goal was to have 100 handles by the end of the six months. Thus I ordered about 600 or so total, 120 halfs and the rest sixths.
            What a mistake. Even before I opened I knew that I was under because I did not factor in how many kegs we need in house to empty a 60 BBL FV. Thus I repeated the order about two weeks before we opened. Then, we had a run on halfs. In quick succession I ordered 72 more halfs, then 72 more halfs, then 144 more halfs. We are now 40 percent halfs. I have one more order on the way. We had about 150 handles in two months.
            My advice: 50-50 and use only halfs in your tasting room. Pick your number per tap in the market (5?6?) but then add in the amount you need to empty two full FVs and then add in some cushion. Know that you will have another order coming soon and budget for it.
            Jeff Schrag
            Mother's Brewing Co.
            Springfield, Missouri

Comment

1/2 1/6 mix

Looking at our sales over the last year I'd recommend about 50:50 too. The 1/2s nose out the 1/6s, but only by a little.
              Steve Bradt
              Regional Sales Manager
              Micro-Matic Packaging Division
              Eastern United States and Canada
              sbradt@micro-matic.com
              785-766-1921

Comment

Working...
              X