Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unboiled wort in kettle

Howdy folks,
    Just wanting an opinion on how long I can have unboiled wort sit in the kettle before coming up to a full roiling boil. Here's the scoop - boiler crapped out during brew day. Got run off into the kettle but it never got up to the boil - slowly worked its way up from 180 to 202 and got stuck even after a few hours and never got beyond 204. Never got a boil on. Had to call it a day 10 hrs after run off complete. Left the wort in the kettle, blew down the boiler and let the pipes cool down. Came in this morning, kettle and wort had cooled to 160 cleaned out the steam traps and had a boiler guy come in to tinker with the boiler. It now works as it should.
    So here's the question.....can I salvage the brew that is in the kettle?

Cheers,

Conan

You have said that you had it over pasteurization temp. As long as you have closed kettle it should be O.K. You will be re-boiling it.

Comment

Probably too late for this suggestion but.......

Ya might want to do an extended boil to boil off the DMS produced as it sat in the 180f+ temp range for 10+ hours.

.....just a thought

Comment

Happened to us when we first opened. Boiler never kicked on so wort never got above ~150 so I ran it to a fermenter and chilled, boiled the next day with no issues.
        Steve Purdie, Brewer
        The Terminal BrewHouse
        Chattanooga Tn

Comment

Working...
        X