Trench drain sizing, flooring issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trench drain sizing, flooring issues

I think I have read just about every thread regarding drainage but I could not find any formula to calculate how long a trench drain need be. I am opening a small 3 bbl brewpub in a roughly 300 sq ft space. The brewery is CIP and in addition I will keg and manually clean kegs in the space. No BBTs/serving tanks. This one was recommended on an earlier thread:

They come in 3'-2 5/8" sections or 8'-3/4" sections and have a flow rate of 164 GPM. Does anyone have a formula to determine how long it should be?

A second floor question – the brewhouse will be located on the 2nd floor of a 3 story building on a cement floor. The landlord does not want to put in a trench drain as he is worried about structural integrity. His suggestion was to build a raised wooden floor over the existing (the kettles/FV’s are only about 5.5’). It could be sloped and presumably tiled/sealed with a trench drain running to a pipe underneath for a straight shot down. Can anyone see any flaws with this idea?

Many thanks,

Dave
    Dave Cowie
    Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
    Nevada City, CA

The wooden floor and tiles will not hold up, you'll have cracks in the tiles in no time. How about putting in some round 4" drains through the floor and then repour a thin coat of concrete to slope to the drains?
    Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Nashville, TN
    www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Linus -- that seems doable. But how many? Where to locate? Would one be sufficient? We might be able to slope toward a corner on the side of the building. An earlier thread suggested a 2'x'2' basin a corner covered by a grate. But that still way not wash with structural issues. If flow rate is an issue on just a single 4" circular, wouldn't I be able to throttle the flow down?
      Dave Cowie
      Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
      Nevada City, CA

Comment

Originally posted by lhall
        The wooden floor and tiles will not hold up, you'll have cracks in the tiles in no time. How about putting in some round 4" drains through the floor and then repour a thin coat of concrete to slope to the drains?
        I've seen the round drains work very well at a brewery with tanks and brewhouse on a second story. They had several of these round drains spaced evenly apart every 15 ft or so, in the same layout that a trench drain would have. They all connected together below the floor (ceiling of the 1st level) with large PVC pipe. Worked great.
        Andrew Godley
        Parish Brewing Co.
        Broussard, Louisiana

Comment

Working...
        X