Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggested gap in Econo mill rollers?

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for the most optimum gap between rollers for a Econo Roller mill from Apollo Machines.

I`ll be using a feeler gauge to measure the gaps and will soon hopefully have a set of grist sieves to measure the grist percentages. The beer will be unfiltered so I am paying very close attention and want to get this mill dialed in as best I can.

From what i`ve read a good starting point is 1.15 mm for most but does anyone have any suggestions for this particular model?

Any information would be most useful.

Dave Woodward
    Tofino Brewing Co.

Dave,

We have been using an Apollo (4"x11" rollers) for about 5-6 years now. We actually gap our mill at about 1.65mm, however, that has more to do with our mash tun flow rate and base malt selection. I have taken it down to as low as 1.35mm, but experienced extremely slow run-offs. I would just use the old trial and error method to determine which gaps works best with your mash/lauter tun and base malt. It also pays to check the gap periodically, as it will creep over time.

Comment

Buy a set of sieves. I use the same mill and I can tell you it can be a pain in the butt if you don't keep an eye on it! Also, make sure to adjust your gap for different malt varieties. Give me a call if you'd like, I'd be glad to share my 16hr. runoff story. Take care.

Geoff Logan
      Head Brewer
      AleWerks
      757-220-3670

P.S. Buy a cot to keep around during your "trial and error" period. It comes in handy.

Comment

Just for reference mine is set to .058 inches or 1.47mm. Sieved it this morning, looked great, nice runoff and extract is great. Good luck!

Geoff

Comment

Thanks Geoff,

I actually milled in yesterday at 1.39. The company we ordered the sieves from totally sent the wrong sets so I was sitting there eying up the grist like a fortune teller reading tea leaves to guess what gap was working best!

Will hopefully be brewing today so we`ll see if that gap works but thanks for the info!

Comment

I heard you guys did your first batch today!

Congratulations! Looking forward to trying the new tipple...

All the best,

Nat

Comment

Ok...

I tightened the pressure bolt with a gap of 1.45 and now the coarse sieve has gone up from 51% to 62%! I assume this will lower the extract of the next mash so does anyone have any tips on the correct setting of the pressure bolt once you`ve gotten the gap with the rollers set?

This might get a tad frustrating me thinks..

Comment

Dave,

buy two sets of automotive feeler gauges. Set them about two thou bigger than you want, then stuff them in between the rollers before you tighten up that pressure bolt.

I ran into a similar problem on another mill. I used motorcycle valve shims, but same concept...

Good luck!

PS remember to clean the rollers after using the auto shims....chemlube 591 isn't the beeriest thing....

Comment

Cheers Natrat,

I guess my question is how tight should the pressure bolt be for a even milling. Does the roller move just abit when slightly tightened or does it have to be clamped right to ensure a even grist is what I am wondering..

If just abit then i`ll just get another set of gauges tomorrow and get back to the shaking of the sieves.

Dave.

Comment

Cheers Natrat,

I guess my question is how tight should the pressure bolt be for a even milling. Does the roller move just abit when slightly tightened or does it have to be clamped right down to ensure a even grist milling is what I am wondering..

If just abit then i`ll just get another set of gauges tomorrow and get back to the shaking of the sieves.

Dave.

Comment

The pressure bolt DOES move the roller, a bit. Hence the gauges, and then torque the bolt.

I believe the Apollo mills I've seen have a locknut on the pressure bolt...so that you can set the nut and then tighten to that.

Maybe a bit of modification is in order if it's giving you that much trouble. A bit of fine thread rod on the roller adjust and some welded tabs might do the trick. Does your model mill have springs behind the roller shaft? If so, replacing those with bits of metal tube or high durometer urethane may work better.

The one I used needed to be tweaked each week. Usually just a wee bit, like a half a thread each way. Not sure if it was because of grain variation or the mill going out, but that brewery didn't even track efficiency...as long as the mash didn't stick, they were happy!

Comment

Nat,

I realize the pressure bolt moves the roller but what I am try to figure out is how much pressure I need to set the rollers at the required gap to maintain the roller in place during the milling.

Just the slightest twist gives totally different results when I sieve a sample which makes consistency difficult.

Got the husk % down to 35%: Good!

The coarse grits % is now past 30% which could drag into the kettle for haze and astringency problems: Bad..

Mash tun is new and oversized with a hot wort grant for excellent recirculation: Could cope with it!

Will mill in and brew next week and see what the results are in three weeks..

To be continued!

Comment

Update?

Any update on how this mill is working out for you guys?

With a 7bbl brewhouse in my near future, I'm looking at getting one of these over the more expensive RAD options. Is RAD worth the extra expense?

Comment

Hi,

After spending three hours milling and sieving samples to get a somewhat consistent grist I would say that a more easily adjustable mill with repeated results would be worth the extra expense. This is just my two cents....

Dave.

Comment

apollo mill

I have the same mill and have never been able to get a good grind out of it. The rollers are not exactly centered on their shafts so the gap changes a little bit as the mill rotates. I fight either not getting my mashes to filter without a reeeaaaalll long vorlouf when the gap is a little small or poor efficiency when it is a bit big. I am having trouble finding the sweet spot and it is a pain to adjust for every grain. What gap did you settle on for "general" milling?

Comment

Working...
                              X