peach puree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peach puree

I am looking into brewing a peach beer and want to use the Oregon fruit puree. I'm just looking for some thoughts on the process I want to use.

The beer will be an American wheat with a kolsch yeast. I would like to, at the end of fermentation, cool and harvesting yeast. Then, push 1/4 - 1/2 lb per gallon of puree from a keg into the bottom of the fermenter. I'll let it sit in the tank for about a week or to taste and then cold condition in secondary for a few weeks to settle out before packaging beer unfiltered.

Since the puree has sugars in it I assume it will ferment while it sits in the fermenter. What would be the best temp to sit at? Do you think allowing the beer to rise to 50% F would help with extraction?

Also, do you think the the beer will be overly cloudy with such a powdery yeast and so much puree? Will the settling time be quite long?

Again I'm just wondering what advice anyone might have on this and everything is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tim

My experience with peach and mango purees is that they impart very little flavor to a beer. Way less than you'd think. Even less so with full fermentation as opposed to halting fermentation and then adding puree back. Very, very subtle and hardly worth the expense of the puree. Best "peach" beers I've had were made with apricot. Too cloudy? Don't think so. Good luck.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

We have an Apricot beer that we add the puree to in the primary. It is the thick 40-something lb paste in a 7bbl brew. BIG apricot flavor! On the Kolsch, unless you use pectic enzymes, it will surely be cloudy.

The temp should be okay, but the harvesting of the yeast may prove difficult as any non-digested puree will end up in your yeast, potentially taking with it the flavor. We usually dump the American Ale yeast we make our Apricot with after that batch and it comes out with streaks of the puree in it.
      Walt Chleva
      Dry Dock Brewing Company
      Aurora, CO

Comment

Juice Products Unlimited.

I've had better luck with concentrate. I've done peach in a golden wheat and I ended up having to add extract to make the flavor/aroma noticeable to the average customer. I will do Apricot in the future.

Do a search on search here on Juice Products Unlimited 877-513-2581. They sell 5 gallons of frozen concentrate that will do about a 10bbl batch give or take. Again, search for other threads for more information like how much to use and stuff.

el

Comment

Working...
        X