Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• biggest beer in a 7 BBL mash tun

Hello All,

I'm sure it varies by manufacturer, but in your experience what is the largest (specific gravity Plato) 7 BBL batch one can mash in a 7 BBL mash tun? How many pounds of grain can these suckers handle?

Thanks!
    John Bleichert
    Water Street Brewing Co.
    Binghamton, NY

Just a reference point but when I brewed on a CDC 7 BBL system, many years back, I would top out at around 620 pounds of malt in the 7 BBL mash tun. The size of a 7 BBL mash tun varies system to system but that is a reference point for you. To boost gravity I would add some dextrose to kettle and for Barley Wine I would do 2 back to back mashes and only collect ~4 BBL's of wort from each mash. Not really efficient use of malt but yields a really nice wort.

Comment

We recently got 632lbs in a 7bbl Lauter Tun with a 2.3 L:G ratio. Could have been 21.2 *P w/o some malt extract. Ended up being 6.2 bbl post boil of a 25 8P Barleywine.
      Walt Chleva
      Dry Dock Brewing Company
      Aurora, CO

Comment

System Manual

I do believe there is a recommended maximum grain weight that your manufacture would have stated in the specifications for your mash tun. Are you able to find this information?

Cheers!

Bill Bensing
        Cheers, Santé, Prost, Ching-ching...which ever language you may speak!

To know more about me, visit my professional website:
        http://www.billbensing.com

Comment

Double Mash. Single Boil.
          You'll be able to hit full kettle with 25º+

Comment

Thanks for the replies, everyone, it's appreciated. Yes, I can get this info from the manufacturer but it's going to be a little bit yet - just doing some planning.
            John Bleichert
            Water Street Brewing Co.
            Binghamton, NY

Comment

Originally posted by Supernaut
              Thanks for the replies, everyone, it's appreciated. Yes, I can get this info from the manufacturer but it's going to be a little bit yet - just doing some planning.
              Always remember, there are MANY MANY ways to skin a cat!

Comment

Working...
              X