What electricity to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What electricity to get?

I'm starting a 3bbl nano brew that in a few years I hope to expand to a 15bbl brewhouse. The space I found i big enough to allow me to grow in. I'll just be brewing, kegging, storing and distributing there, no brew pub or bottlescases/taps, etc... I was wondering if I should ask for 3-phase power when I am having my area fitted out, or if standard 200-amp service will be enough? I don't have my glycol chiller or cooling unit for the cold room spec'd out yet.

Yes, you should definitely have your building wired for 3 phase if you are located in an area where it is available. It is unavailable in our rural location and life is quite a bit more complicated and expensive as a result.

Comment

Are you talking about a 200A 3 Phase Main, that should be fine and allow for expansion. If it were me, I would go for a 400A service, but that is because I oversize on the expectation of adding glycol, lighting, botteling lines, pumps, cold rooms, grain conveyors, and a music system!
      Last edited by Scott M; 04-09-2011, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Thanks! I meet with the architects on Monday and while they have done commercial/restaurant work before, I'm their first brewery. I wanted to have a good answer for what to spec out electricity and I appreciate the quick responses. Now I just need to come up with some guesses on how big to make the cold room and grain storage area.

Comment

electric

I recommend to have 480V/3Ph/60Hz, which gives you some
          additional power for future expansions.

Cheers
          Fred

Comment

Working...
          X