Will my De filter remove wild yeast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will my De filter remove wild yeast?

Have a batch that tastes like wild yeast. Will my de filter remove this along with my house yeast. i know 'wild' is smaller but how much? any help? thanks

I think the question your asking is, Will my filter (DE or other or even micro-filtered after DE) be able to reverse a flavor problem after it is already there? Answer - no.

Filtering or microfiltering bad beer simply leaves you with a tank of polished bad beer. If the flavor as a wild yeast beer is appealing to you and you just want to stop the change...not likely but to each their own.

Comment

Filtering removes spoilage organisms, but doesn't reverse it

Wholehop,
      Just like Rob said, if you filter that beer, it will be shiny, polished, and pretty, but it will still be (flavor-wise) the exact same beer. Filtration is going to physically remove organisms and particles that will give you an off taste, but in your case the taste is already there, and filtration cannot reverse that.

I would love to know if any brewers have had any luck in that department, just for my own knowledge.

Comment

Brick Brewing Company in Waterloo Ontario back in the late '80's had tanks full of infected crap beer. A salesman for Pall apparently told them his filters would remove the "problem" in his sales pitch. Unbelievably, after Brick put multiple thousands of gallons of beer down the drain, Brick sued Pall and ...won!

It set back relations between craft brewers and legit suppliers in Canada years because of the sheer stupidity involved in this case. And they call Americans letigious.

Comment

And to answer the other side, DE does not filter tight enough to provide any microbiological stability. You need a separate sterile filter after the DE if you want to take out all of the wild yeast. But have others have said, this still won't impact any flavor that is already there, it would just keep it from developing further.

Comment

Originally posted by STierney
            And to answer the other side, DE does not filter tight enough to provide any microbiological stability. You need a separate sterile filter after the DE if you want to take out all of the wild yeast. But have others have said, this still won't impact any flavor that is already there, it would just keep it from developing further.
            We've successfully DE-filtered to remove low levels of wild yeast before, with a trap filter to capture any earth bleed.

You're right that a separate sterile filter is needed to remove bacterial infections though. And I wouldn't be trusting straight DE filtration for high wild loads either.

Comment

Working...
            X