brokers vs distributors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brokers vs distributors

Recently we've been getting calls from brokers in Georgia, and I'm curious how they fit into the 3 tier system. I'm not really sure what their purpose is, and I haven't heard from a single one in Tennessee, which is where we currently produce and sell. Any advice or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jonathan Clark
    Chattanooga Brewing Co.

I think by law a brand has to be represented by a broker in Georgia. Call Terrapin or Sweetwater, I'm sure they can tell you.
    Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Nashville, TN
    www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

We work directly with our Georgia distributor and although we do have a Brewery Rep there it was not legally mandated. There are a couple of state wide distributors that you could work with or string a series of more local guys.
      Marty Compton
      Director of Sales
      Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Comment

thanks guys...

I've read up on GA code, I can't find anything requiring a broker, but I'm going to call Sweetwater or Terrapin as suggested. Thanks again!

Comment

You are right Chattabrew. You do not need a broker to distribute in Georgia. A broker can act as a brewery's representative in an area where you don't have a physical presence. You do have to have a distributor though in Georgia in order to have your beer available for sale.

The distributor is responsible for getting your beer into the State and then on to the retailer. A broker acts as your sales representative.

The upside to a good broker ... it can be considered a force multiplier. You can have someone besides the distributor telling your story in a new marketplace.

The downside is that they are typically paid on a case sales percentage (i.e., your margin) and usually represent a large number of breweries.

I've worked with good brokers who actually earn their "dollar a case" and I've worked with others that just siphon off needed revenue from the brewery without really making a difference in the marketplace.

If you want to go into a new marketplace and want to get the bead on the need for a broker, talk to the best retailers in the market and ask how many times brokers have executed a great event. Partner up with a great distributor in each market. They work with a lot of brokers and can give you more insights about the actual market itself.
          David Little
          Beer Consigliere and IT Guy
          Savannah Distributing
          david@gabeer.com
          912.233.1167 x102

I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.
          Humorist Dave Barry

Comment

Working...
          X