PID vs Ranco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PID vs Ranco

Anybody have opinions regarding Rancos vs. PIDs for solenoid control? By the time you add the cost of SSRs or relays for the PIDs the price is about the same. PID features may be overkill, but many can be set to take a thermocouple or RTD on the same unit.

PID as a brand name? PIDs stand for proportional, integral, differential control--it's generic. This is for modulation of a component-not on/off as in solenoid control. The unit you would need for solenoid on/off is only a digital thermostat or a very simple temperature controller. Most I've seen have inputs for a variety of Thermocouples/Thermistors/RTD. Rob at Premier sells a 1/32 DIN Fuji unit that does it all and can be configured easily. It's cheap too. Personally, I like the solid state digital units over the mechanical ones any day.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

The Love TS series controllers are great, they run about $77 and will read a range of inputs. They come in F or C degrees, 110 vac, 220 vac, 12 vdc with a internal 16 amp SPST relay.

Cole Parmer sells them.
      Last edited by South County; 04-29-2011, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Price is certainly right on the Love TS series. Compact unit, too. Adjustable deadband, check. Have to buy them for the voltage and units you need, but that shouldn't be a problem. Resolution (1C) and accuracy (+/- 1C) isn't so great, but may be good enough for budget-conscious. The specifications on the unit say it is a PTC thermistor only. No RTD or Thermocouple.
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

I'm working on an older DME system and some of the Athena controllers that came with it were falling apart, I replaced them with these:

This universal temperature controller can be used as a PID temperature controller, on/off temperature controller, limit temperature controller, or simply as a thermometer/pyrometer with bright LED display and alarm output. It offers great value for its price, as it is accurate, smart, and reliable. It is one of the smallest 1/32 DIN PID controllers on the market and the perfect unit for hobbyists to upgrade their brewer, incubator, espresso machine or glass kiln, and professionals in industrial use. The newly developed artificial intelligence enhanced PID algorithm and auto-tune function will control the temperature to within one degree accuracy without complicated PID parameter fine tuning. This controller contains all the primary functions of an industrial grade PID controller but is also made simple for amateur use. The PID control mode can maintain the temperature within one degree when properly tuned.  The on/off control mode is useful for controlling refrigerator, motor, or solenoid valve that does not favor frequent switching. Users can set the target temperature and hysteresis band. It will work like a mechanical thermostat with higher accuracy and tighter temperature range. Limit control mode can be used for safety protection and special applications. When connected to a contactor, it can function

Comment

Yeah, auber is where I usually get PIDs. Good prices and fast delivery. Never had a problem with their units. One thing I like about them is that some models display temp and set point simultaneously, which rancos don't. I'll check out the love units as well.

Comment

Originally posted by gitchegumee
              Price is certainly right on the Love TS series. Compact unit, too. Adjustable deadband, check. Have to buy them for the voltage and units you need, but that shouldn't be a problem. Resolution (1C) and accuracy (+/- 1C) isn't so great, but may be good enough for budget-conscious. The specifications on the unit say it is a PTC thermistor only. No RTD or Thermocouple.

This is the correct thermocouple unit, around the same price.

Comment

We use these ones at our brewery, a little more $, but come with
                sesor probes. http://www.controlproductsonline.com...ntrollers.html

Comment

Working...
                X