Double batch in 2 days : pH issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double batch in 2 days : pH issue

It came across my mind today while filling up my FV with the second half of the batch :

Batch 'A' brewed yesterday has dropped from 5.1 to 4.3

Should I try to match the pH while pushing batch 'B'? What is the impact of a pH variation on the yeast metabolism?

Ben

shouldn't be...

Originally posted by Zucker Bee
    It came across my mind today while filling up my FV with the second half of the batch :

Batch 'A' brewed yesterday has dropped from 5.1 to 4.3

Should I try to match the pH while pushing batch 'B'? What is the impact of a pH variation on the yeast metabolism?

Ben
    Its not an issue TMK, the yeast didn't mind when you pitched at 5.1 pH the first time. Even when propagating, each time the yeast are fed its at a higher pH than the current conditions the yeast are in. I'm not saying that pH doesn't pay and important role (obviously)...but from 4 to 5 pH your in "beer" range. Ive never had issues double or triple batching, and after just reading the "yeast" book that Chris White wrote, I don't remember any worry about new wort pH being too high.

Comment

Hey Ben, I wouldn't worry about it. The pH drop was caused by your yeast, and yeasts are exposed to pH changes every time you pitch them from one batch to another. If you get your mash pH right (and treat your sparge water the same way you treat your mash water), your downstream pHs tend to work themselves out.

Joe

Comment

.. it was my guess too that this was a bit too *nal, but you know, you never get too perfect!

Comment

THe production of organic acids by your yeast as they metabolize your malt sugars in your wort will pull that pH back down in no time.

You may get a small variation in pH in a 'fed' batch as opposed to a standalone brew. It depends on a number of things like initial pitching rate, oxygenation of each brew, original gravities etc. Shouldn't normally be significant.

Pax.

Liam
          Liam McKenna
          www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Working...
          X