Boiler Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boiler Install

We am in the process of building out a new brewery in the Sacramento area. I am looking for some feedback from anyone that has had a boiler installed recently. The quotes I am getting for installation are higher than I would have expected given that we are running all the electrical, water, and drains to the area where the boiler is located and the boiler will be located less than twenty feet from the brewhouse. I don't want to be unrealistic but I haven't exactly had to purchase a number of boilers over my life. Any thoughts/or comments would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Ryan Graham
    Track 7 Brewing Company
    rgraham@track7brewing.com

Lots of variables here. Electric or gas boiler? Gas will require more $$ to get install and commission. Is your brewery skid mounted, or is it in discrete components? Does it come with all the necessary steam gear, or is that also to be provisioned by installer? If you require your installer to pull permits; buy and install gas line; buy and install flue; buy and fit steam and condensate lines to kettle/mash/HLT; buy and install steam traps, solenoids, air vents, vacuum breakers, pressure gauges, isolation valves, condensate pump & receiver; buy insulation and insulate the whole thing; pull and terminate electrical power and control; and then commission & test all the safeties and interlocks..... then you could easily expect a bill in excess of $5k easy depending on the size of your brewery, and whether you get top-notch equipment. Also where in the country you live and the skill set of the installer. Steam sure is nice, but it does have high up-front costs. Sticker-shock sucks.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Originally posted by gitchegumee
      Lots of variables here. Electric or gas boiler? Gas will require more $$ to get install and commission. Is your brewery skid mounted, or is it in discrete components? Does it come with all the necessary steam gear, or is that also to be provisioned by installer? If you require your installer to pull permits; buy and install gas line; buy and install flue; buy and fit steam and condensate lines to kettle/mash/HLT; buy and install steam traps, solenoids, air vents, vacuum breakers, pressure gauges, isolation valves, condensate pump & receiver; buy insulation and insulate the whole thing; pull and terminate electrical power and control; and then commission & test all the safeties and interlocks..... then you could easily expect a bill in excess of $5k easy depending on the size of your brewery, and whether you get top-notch equipment. Also where in the country you live and the skill set of the installer. Steam sure is nice, but it does have high up-front costs. Sticker-shock sucks.
      You are looking at $20-25K for full install. Don't forget water treatment. You may be able to find labor only install of $5k
      Cheers!
      David R. Pierce

Comment

Oh yeah. Softener, salt bin, salt, dosing pump, boiler chemicals... I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff, too. It's expensive.
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

We bought all of the parts at contractor cost, insulated ourselves, and hired someone at a reasonable hourly rate to fit the pipes and we still had over $15k into the installation of our used boiler (gas, three zones,) And what a pain in the @ss it was....

Comment

Thanks for the comments so far. To answer a number of the questions, the boiler is a gas fired, 15 PSI, 600KBTU boiler. The brewhouse is comprised of three units with a platform. All of the brewhouse piping is done and simply needs to be connected to the boiler.

Essentially, the scope of work for the boiler installation includes: offload, set and anchor the new equipment; extend the vent stack, relief valve discharge and blow down tank vents through the roof with proper flashings; supply a steam stop valve and up to twenty feet of steam piping with supports out into your work area; pipe the water from the feed water tank to the boiler and the blow down from the boiler to the blow down tank; connect the electrical; start up and place the boiler into service; connect the water from water softeners to the feed tank. This does NOT include running the gas line, electrical, drains, insullation, water softener or permits. All of the boiler components were done under a separate purchase.

The quote is for $15k, which from the discussion here, seems about right. I was expecting something more along the lines of $10K. It's not so much sticker shock, but rather, I am trying to avoid being the noob that gets taken advantage of. Thanks again,

Ryan Graham
            Track 7 Brewing Company
            rgraham@track7brewing.com

Comment

Who installed your boiler?

Hi Ryan,

By chance do you have the name of the company who did your boiler install, or do you have any suggestions for companies who do in the Sacramento area? Our recent bid was $34,000!?!?

Thanks,

Anthony Brown
              Out of Bounds Brewing Company
              Out of Bounds Brewing Company official website.

Comment

Working...
              X