Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bourbon, brandy, or whiskey barrels

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me the best way to get my hands on some used whiskey or brandy barrels? Also, if anyone would like to share some techniques and aging times to get that wonderful whiskey flavor in beer, I would be very appreciative. Thanks.

I got my barrels from a local distilling company.

Different methods for barrel aging, but the one I prefer is throw caution to wind. I pull the bung and purge with CO2 and then rack to the barrel. When I put my bung back in I first drill a hole through it to fit a hard spile, this will allow you to sample the beer as it ages and allow you to determine when it is ready.

I have aged them for a minimum of 3 weeks and have gone up to 13 months. I then rack it to kegs (Sanke converted Hoff Stevens)using and old homebrew pump and then throw some head pressure on them to carbonate. Allow the beer to sit in the kegs for a few more weeks if you can.

I do this with my Oatmeal Stout and it turns out great. Picks up some really neat flavors from the barrel (Vanilla), the bourbon as well as some of the oxidative notes like raisin/plums.

Comment

Try Blue Grass Cooperage in Louiville, KY. They have a website.

Comment

If the berrals have not been in use for some time I would suggest spraying the outside of them down with cold water.This will tighten the wood up against the rings therefor insuring a good seal.

christopher

Comment

I've had good luck with barrels obtained from Kelvin Cooperage in Louisville, KY. We bought eight Wild Turkey barrels for $40.00 each, but bought singly they could range from $45.00 each and up. Contact Paul McLaughlin at (502) 366-5757, or e-mail Paul at paul@kelvincooperage.com.
          Ron Downer

Comment

JD Barrels

For Jack Danials barrels call the Lynchburge general store in Lynchberge Tenn.
            As far as aging time I suggest to taste test. My Barleywine is aged for almost a year but a lighter beer could be done w/ less time.
            Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
            tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
            "Your results may vary"

Comment

Working...
            X