Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Importing Active Yeast into the UK (White Labs or Wyeast)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing Active Yeast into the UK (White Labs or Wyeast)

Good evening all

Now...I know that Active Yeast has a TARIC (Harmonised Tariff) code of 2102100000, but can I find out if there are any restrictions or licences or duties payable when importing White Labs or Wyeast live yeasts into the UK? No, I can't. Even the man at the RPA hasn't rung me back.

Please can I ask if any UK micros have imported these live yeasts for commercial use and know anything about this one, please? I am only looking at bringing over up to 15 litres of product at a time.

Many thanks in advance

Jon
    Rough Draft Brewing Company Limited, Leeming Bar, North Yorkshire

Hi Jon,
    I know it's not quite the answer to the question you asked, but in a previous brewery, about 10 years ago, we got Brupacks to supply us with a polypin of Wyeast (enough to ferm c100litres, which we scaled up in one jump to 10Hl).

They're not too far from you either, in Cleckheaton - worth a call.
    cheers & good luck,
    Mike McG
    Wirral.

Comment

Thanks Mike

That is a good thought about Brupaks. Thanks for that. I only need enough to either pitch into 6bbl or, as you suggest, enough to step up to that amount. I wonder what their margin is on top of the price? I will ask them today.

I asked the "can I import active yeast?" question of the Food Standards Agency. They were very helpful. Helpful without actually giving me a definitive answer. They have pointed me at a lot of information which I have read through. They have reminded me several times that as the food operator it is my responsibility to make sure I am fully aware of the rules surrounding the import of a "food product, not of animal origin" (actve yeast is a non-POAO, apparently) and to be compliant with the law at all times.

Well, I have read through a lot of documents about the import of food, reasearched UK and EU legislation, I have registered for and searched a database called GRAIL, I have checked prohibited non-POAO lists, aflatoxin lists and lots more besides...do I have an answer?

Maybe.
      • I cannot find any requirement for a licence to import Active Yeast.
      • It is not a high risk product.
      • There are no prohibitions in operation either for yeast or for countries supplying it.
      • I cannot see that I need a licence to trade in active yeast - I am not re-selling it.
      • It seems to me that it is a process ingredient used in production and as such I cannot be trading in it.
      • It might attract import duty though.

I have learned that this all about the individual making the necessary enquiries, performing due diligence and being able to evidence why you made a particular decision rather than a straightforward "ask the question/receive a reply" process.

I will contact the FSA again today and see if they concur with my findings.

So, I have made some progress.

Kind regards
      Jon

Comment

Importing yeast

I would suggest contacting white labs and wyeast directly.
        I know white labs ships the stuff in 2L nalgene bottles, and they also have a representative in Denmark that they work with.
        I am also looking at the same for Latvia, and am considering weather to buy from whitelabs or to have the yeast I need banked locally and grown up as I need it. I will probably do both. Local for my house yeast and white labs for any special yeast needs.

Cheers
        Gordon
        ALEhouse.lv

Comment

Or you could forget about all that nonsense and call John at Hop and Grape. He gets White Labs tubes in every week and you can build up from there...that's what I do...

Cheers,
          Jeff
          Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
          Chairman of the Beer
          Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
          Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
          W: www.lovibonds.com
          F: LovibondsBrewery
          T: @Lovibonds

Comment

Have you spoken to Dr. Thomas at BrewLab? They can supply you with just about ANY strain imaginable.

+44 (0)191 549 9450
            Cheers!

Jeff
            Carbondale Beer Works

Comment

Or you could forget about all that nonsense and call John at Hop and Grape. He gets White Labs tubes in every week and you can build up from there...that's what I do...

How would you do this? Would you buy say 16 vials and grow them to twice their size in wort for say 820L? Would the wort need to be steralised?

Comment

Sorry, just spotted your reply.

This is my procedure, your mileage may vary:

All of this is done being as clean as possible (sterile if possible):

* (brewday-2) Make 2 x 1.5l wort in Erlymeyers adding 1 tube to each on stir plate for 1 day
                * (brewday-1) Take 2 x 20l wort from production brew and add 1 1.5 litre starter to each
                * (brewday) Add 2 x 20l of humping starter to 700 litres
                * (brewday+1) Rock and roll.

Cheers,
                jeff
                Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
                Chairman of the Beer
                Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
                Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
                W: www.lovibonds.com
                F: LovibondsBrewery
                T: @Lovibonds

Comment