Flaked Corn in a Flexible Auger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flaked Corn in a Flexible Auger

I know you are not supposed to add Rice Hulls into a flexible auger, but does anybody have experience running flaked corn though one?

It gets pretty clumpy when poured directly into the MT.

Cheers!

el

it should be no problem. We do it all the time.
    Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Nashville, TN
    www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

No rice?

Why no rice hulls in a flex auger? I've been doing it for years without even thinking of it being a problem and as far as I know it hasn't been for me.
      Call me curious....
      Cheers
      Jay Stoyanoff
      Brewmaster
      Plattsburgh Brewing Co.
      Plattsburgh, NY

Comment

I've been having a ton of problems with putting flaked wheat and/or rice hulls through my auger. But it's really not the auger that's a problem, it's the mill. They tend to get stuck in the mill hopper and in the rollers. They go through fine if I adjust the roller gap, but that's kind of a pain in the middle of a mash in.
        Hutch Kugeman
        Head Brewer
        Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
        Hyde Park, NY

Comment

I've just always heard you aren't supposed to add rice hulls into the flex auger. Maybe I will give it a shot. I usually hydrate them in the MT for a while before I bring on the malt/wheat.

Anybody else putting rice hulls into the auger?

Comment

Yes, we put both rice hulls and oats through chain disc, fixed and flex augers with no trouble.

But, they do get fed through with crushed malt at the same time.

Comment

You generally wouldn't put rice or oat hulls thru the mill and auger because you defeat the purpose of using them in the first place, which is to keep them whole and keep the mash nice and fluffy to make run-off easier.

When using either, I generally pop the bag out on the brewhouse platform and then just sprinkle in the hulls by hand during the mash in. As for the flaked grains, just mix them in with your grind in and let the mill and auger take them away (albeit slower than normal). Don't just open a 55# bag and try to run thru the whole bag at once - spread em out a bit across the whole grind.

Comment

No Mill

We don't have a mill at our brewery so when we put our rice hulls through our flex auger, it's dropping right into the MT. I would definitely second not putting them through the mill. Same for the flaked materials. We also had trouble gumming up the mill at a big brewery I worked at in the past when putting rye flakes through. Not fun to remedy.
                On another note...Flex Auger specifically states that its' augers can be used to effectively move rice hulls...among other things. Thought I'd pass along the info...
                Cheers
                Jay Stoyanoff
                Brewmaster
                Plattsburgh Brewing Co.
                Plattsburgh, NY

Comment

Working...
                X