Cleaning keg fillers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning keg fillers

I'm running into some issues cleaning/storing keg filling lines. I've tried several different methods which have given us less than desirable results. Currently we are soaking the lines in a lite solution of phosphoric acid (8oz to 50 gals water) but in a very short time we are seeing some breakdown on the equipment. I would love some advise/direction

Rich

Make sure you are using all stainless couplers or the acid will eat at the brass in short order. Decent food grade hose should hold up to light acid as I keep mine packed with star-san. PBW is mild on soft metals if you cant get stainless, although you should have them.
    Big Willey
    "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

I'm using all SS couplers but the hose may not be the best.. So you just soak them in Star San over night or just rinse and then store?

Comment

We use a draft line cleaning pump to CIP the lines weekly with caustic and then push star san through before each use.

Comment

I leave them packed with Star-san, though I dont consider it neccesary. It is handy though. I also will run beer line cleaner through them when doing the draft lines.
          Big Willey

Comment

Thanks BigWilly, that is a perfect solution. I appreciate all the input on this

Comment

I like to use the series taps cleaning cups (see Micromatic or similar) to cap off the fill lines when not in service. When cleaning the fill line, this cap also allows a cleaning solution to continue and clean the blow off lines.

They are great for keeping tap box couplers free of earwigs, too, especially if you use a Dremel tool to cut off the center post that pushes the check valve open.

Comment

Those micromatic cleaning cups are the bomb! Essential if you are cleaning keg lines that are hooked in series as well. They also make it easy to purge the sani out of your keg filling lines and pack it with beer and vice versa. I know some guys also use the dual cleaning couplers to push cleaner from the Keg washer through lines.
                Big Willey

Comment

Working...
                X