Galvanzied Kettle stack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galvanzied Kettle stack?

Hey, I am taking over a new brewpub project and have the great opportunity to make the master list of "everything a brewery needs". As most of you know that is a list that has no end. Certain things, like 20' kettle stack, sanitary pump, hoses have a certain shock effect to the people actually spending the money. Most of the stuff I can back up with tons of specs and info but the kettle stack....The kettle has the typical condensate collar with drainage so not a drop will return to the kettle so, does anyone have a clear explanation of why stainless is necessary for exhausting water vapor?
    Thanks

Stack

Hi,

I have replaced more than one galvanized stack and it has improved the beer every time. The best way to justify it is that if the drain hole to your condensate ring gets plugged you dump a batch. The yeast will die and the wort will have poisonous components in it. In most cases the stack cost about as much as the batch(15-30bbl systems). I suggest that the stack should be replaced and a stack fan be installed.

The Vapors coming from your stack are corrosive and will affect a galvanized material more quickly than stainless.

Graydon

Comment

+1 for stainless. You will replace the galvanized frequently. Do it right the first time. Don't forget that it should hang from the roof and have expansion joint at the kettle. Don't support it from the kettle. Good luck!
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Speaking of exhaust duct on the kettle - anyone have any input on CFM rating for the blower per kettle size? I'm looking at stainless blowers but they get pricey quick as you go up in size. Think 600 CFM would be adequate for keeping a 30bbl kettle under negative? Anyone have any data on their blower vs kettle size that we could use to compare to our situation?

Thanks.

Andrew
        Andrew Godley
        Parish Brewing Co.
        Broussard, Louisiana

Comment

stack fan

I am digging this subject up from a while ago... but we are looking at putting in a stack fan (draft inducer) on our kettle stack as well. We were thinking of going the in-line route with a variable speed control on it. From talking to our brewhouse manufacturer they said that we shouldn't need it as our BK has 100% head space, but we have talked to someone with the same system and it is something they wished they had. We would want something that can move 300-400 cfm (per recommendation from our brewhouse manufacturer).

I have been looking around and the issue that I am running into is that most fans can't handle the temperature or the moisture that may be involved. Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations on a stack fan manufacturer? What temp do you think is the max it should have to worry about? And is moisture going to be a concern? I would think that the placement of the fan would be pretty important (for temp and moisture) as we do have a 20' kettle stack and so have some room for play with its placement.

Thank you,
          tonyf

Comment

I use a typical roof mounted exhaust fan with no issues. NOT stainless, NOT high-temperature, nothing fancy. I split the fan suction between the kettle flue and a large ceiling mounted duct that ventilates the rest of the brewhouse. There is so much dilution air that joins the steam stream that the exhaust temperature is barely warm. This has worked for me for the last five years, knock on wood.
            Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Thanks for the help

This site has been very helpful thanks to people such as yourself who are willing to help out. We appreciate it.

tonyf

Comment

Do you think a fan is necessary for a 3 bbl kettle? 20 feet rise. Thank you.
                Nick Tanner
                Head Brewer/Founder
                Cherry Street Brewing Cooperative
                Cumming, GA
                www.cherrystreetbrewing.com

Comment

Working...
                X