Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flow Rates, Pump Size, Chiller's Ability to Cool...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flow Rates, Pump Size, Chiller's Ability to Cool...

So I've read far too much at this point.

We have 5x10BBL fermenters, and it seems that the rule of 5-10GPM flow rate per jacket would give us a max flow rate of 50GPM.

However, as I understand it, if the pump were running at 50GPM, you'd need a chiller capable of 90,000 BTUs or something massive like that. I'm trying to figure out now, if I have a unit that would give me 27,000 BTUs with a 1HP pump, would this suffice? It seems to me that by everything I've read that it would, but then I wonder if the system could handle it.

We'd only be crashing one tank at a time, maybe holding one at 34, and the others would be at 68.

How am I misunderstanding the flow rate of this? Thanks!

One quick method to calculate a BTU Load is:
    Flow Rate X Temperature Drop X 500.

For example if you have 50 GPM flow from your chiller system, leaving at 25 F and returning at 27 F, the Heat Load can be calculated as:

50 GPM X 2 F TD (27 F - 25 F) X 500 = 50,000 BTU/HR

In regards to Glycol Flow you need to remember it will be rare that all of your vessels will be "calling" for cooling simultaneously, although the 50 GPM is possible and is your Maximum Flow- it's probably more realistic your Design Flow will be about 50% of the Maximum Flow.

I ran your load data and came up with a Brewery Cooling load of less than 15,000 BTU/HR- I think a system rated at 27,000 BTU/HR @ 28 F Glycol and 90 F Ambient would service this load without problem.

Hope this helps, Good Luck.

Jim

Jim VanderGiessen Jr.
    CEO, Pro Refrigeration, Inc
    253-735-9466 Ext 203
    Mobile 253-732-9402
    Pro Refrigeration Inc, manufactures, and distributes state-of-the-art chiller systems for the dairy, craft brewing, wineries, & many more!

Sign up to receive Pro's monthly newsletter with valuable Tech Tips and Monthly Specials.
    August Special- Refractometer Glycol Percentage Tester Blow Out Sale- only $77.25 EA with free shipping!

Comment

Ok. And the chiller I'm looking at has a nominal flowrate of about 8 gpm. Is that too low?

Edit:

Search Our Chiller Knowledge Base Search Software Update PLC - IDEC OS Firmware Update Procedure PLC/HMI Software update Procedure for Single and Dual

That is the pump data that I have for the unit I am looking at. Will the 1ms pump (1HP) suffice?
      Last edited by dfreese; 08-09-2011, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dfreese
        Ok. And the chiller I'm looking at has a nominal flowrate of about 8 gpm. Is that too low?

Edit:

Search Our Chiller Knowledge Base Search Software Update PLC - IDEC OS Firmware Update Procedure PLC/HMI Software update Procedure for Single and Dual

That is the pump data that I have for the unit I am looking at. Will the 1ms pump (1HP) suffice?
        I'd contact Legacy and ask to speak with someone in their applications department.

Good Luck,
        Jim

Comment

a little help please Jim....

I have (6) 3 bbl plastic conical tanks, each with a 120' 1/2" stainless coil suspended from the top and hanging down approximately 8" from the bottom of the cone.
          the tanks are insulated with 1 1/4" black closed cell foam insulation basically glued to the tank surface.
          can you give me some guidance as to the hp and btu's I might need in a system like this?
          www.beerontheriver.com

Comment

Originally posted by v2comp
            I have (6) 3 bbl plastic conical tanks, each with a 120' 1/2" stainless coil suspended from the top and hanging down approximately 8" from the bottom of the cone.
            the tanks are insulated with 1 1/4" black closed cell foam insulation basically glued to the tank surface.
            can you give me some guidance as to the hp and btu's I might need in a system like this?
            For a free load estimate, the best place to start is to fill out our brewery survey sheet. This not only covers the brewery load, but includes additional loads you might consider servicing with your chiller system. The Survey Sheet can be downloaded in either MS Excel or PDf format here: http://www.prochiller.com/reSalesLit.html

I ran a load estimate based on the following:

2 Ea 3 Bbl Active Fermentation at 68 F
            2 Ea 3 Bbl Crash Cooling from 68 F to 34 F in 24 hrs
            2 Ea 3 Bbl Conditioning/Holding at 34F

Estimated Cooling Load is apprx 3,200 BTU/HR. I added some extra safety factor for unknowns due to coil and insulation properties- but think this is a safe number.

As far as HP, this is maybe 1/2 or 3/4HP. Unfortunately our systems only go as small as 2 HP (rated at 15,000 BTU/HR @ 28 F Glycol and 90 F Ambient), which is probably hard to justify for this application.

Hope this helps and Good Luck,

Jim

Comment

thank you sir, I really appreciate the guidance.
              www.beerontheriver.com

Comment

Originally posted by jimvgjr View Post
                One quick method to calculate a BTU Load is:
                Flow Rate X Temperature Drop X 500.

For example if you have 50 GPM flow from your chiller system, leaving at 25 F and returning at 27 F, the Heat Load can be calculated as:

50 GPM X 2 F TD (27 F - 25 F) X 500 = 50,000 BTU/HR

In regards to Glycol Flow you need to remember it will be rare that all of your vessels will be "calling" for cooling simultaneously, although the 50 GPM is possible and is your Maximum Flow- it's probably more realistic your Design Flow will be about 50% of the Maximum Flow.

I ran your load data and came up with a Brewery Cooling load of less than 15,000 BTU/HR- I think a system rated at 27,000 BTU/HR @ 28 F Glycol and 90 F Ambient would service this load without problem.
                I just came upon this. I have 2 x 7bbl fermentors. From whatever I've read till, I could make do with a chiller of 3/4HP compressor with a 1/2HP process pump and a flow rate of 1.2GPM. The brewery cooling load would come around to 5000 BTU/hr. But the flow rate through the jackets kind of isn't matching with the numbers I read in this post. Am I undershooting the glycol chiller or would it suffice?

Comment

Working...
                X