Priming with cane sugar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Priming with cane sugar.

I would like to get information on how much sugar to add to the bottles (0.33 and 0.5 Lts), in order to obtain the proper carbonation. I assume it has to be dissolved in water first. How much water though?? I am new into homebrewing and do not wish for my beer to be flat. Thanks in advance for any input.
    Nani.

My favorite resource for homebrewers is the Homebrew Adventures forum pages.

Have a look here:

Happy brewing!

Comment

Priming

Try Beer Beer and More Beer, www.morebeer.com, they carry a product call PrimeTab. Just drop two or three per bottle ( check directions of course). these have worked well for me in the past.
      Nicholas Campbell

Comment

In my homebrewing days I used sucanat. I believe it was around 2.5-3 cups per 10 gal.

Comment

do I have to make a syrup with the sucanat or just add it to the conditioning tank prior to bottling?? if making the syrup is the answer...how much water should I use???
          Thanx...
          nani

Comment

I prefer to use light dry malt extract. Use 1.25 cups per 5 gallon batch. It produces a finer head on the beer. Boil one pint of water add malt extract and boil for fifteen minutes. Then add to beer before bottling.
            Good luck

Comment

Honestly, I tried probably everything sugary for priming purpose (including DME) and my best bet was (and still is) dextrose (corn sugar). DME is nice but expensive, and in blind tasting nobody found any difference in-between beers primed with DME and dextrose.

You just make a syrup by boiling softly your dextrose in water for 15 minutes, cool it and put it in your conditionning tank (waaay less of a pain in the backside than splitting it into your bottles...). Let it rest for an hour. Transfer in bottles.

The amount of dextrose is different depending on the level of carbonation wanted:

For 5GAL (18.9L )of homebrew
              Low: 75gm in a pint of water
              Med: 115gm
              High: 150gm
              Hand Grenade: 250gm

Cheers!
              Sat

Comment

Working...
              X