Pumpkin cask

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pumpkin cask

So has anyone ever done the whole "making a cask out of a pumpkin" thing? I've seen pictures so I know it can be done.

If you have, any tips on making this work? Obviously I need a big pumpkin and it needs to be properly cleaned out and filled. But how about actually "tapping" it? Maybe cut out a spot in the bottom and put a keystone in there? Then tap it through the keystone as if it were a cask? I'm definitely thinking that when i try and tap it that I'm just going to knock the keystone through the pumpkin rather than puncture it.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...
    Hutch Kugeman
    Head Brewer
    Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
    Hyde Park, NY

I think I would just put a gravity spout in before filling with the valve turned off, then all you have to do is open the valve. Ithink you would definately knock the keystone through the pumpkin and wear the beer.

Comment

PM Larry Horwitz on here- I think they, Iron Hill BC, does this.
      Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
      tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
      "Your results may vary"

Comment

I was thinking of doing just this in the fall season. I was figuring so as to have the "drama" of actually knocking the spigot into the pumpkin with a mallet I would drill a hole about half way into the wall of the thing and then knock the faucet in the rest of the way when I am ready. I can't see what could possibly go wrong
        Luch Scremin
        Engine 15 Brewing Co.
        luch at engine15 dot com

Comment

I know Jolly Pumpkin serves out of pumpkins. I think your best bet is to cask condition and then transfer on serving day into a prepared pumpkin. That way you don't have to worry about having a rotting mess on your hands.

Comment

That is exactly what we did last year. We purchased a giant 200lb pumpkin and hollowed it out and "pre-drilled" a hole for the spigot, slightly smaller than the diameter of the spigot. We then transferred our cask pumpkin ale directly into it right before we opened so we had a giant pumpkin with a spigot full of beer for everyone. The risk of cracking the shell on that pumpkin completely full of beer was too great to consider actually "tapping" the pumpkin firkin (or would it be more of a kilderkin).

Hope this helps.
            Walt Chleva
            Dry Dock Brewing Company
            Aurora, CO

Comment

Working...
            X