Need help configuring dairy tank for kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help configuring dairy tank for kettle

We're establishing a nano-sized microbrewery in a building on our farm for wholesale brewing for local keg sales to bars / restaurants.

We have obtained used dairy milk tanks, one of them is 100 gallon and we'd like to figure out how to configure it for use as a boil kettle if possible.
    Here are some of the ideas we've thrown out:

-steam. The tank was originally used for cooling milk. It has a compressor that connects to the coils that run inside the double walls. One thought we had was to get a steam boiler that would run steam through these coils / pipes. However, this may be costly and someone has since told us we'd have to treat our well water to do this.

-immersible heating elements. Any ideas here would be greatly appreciated, as this may be the most simple solution for us.

-any other ideas?

Thanks!

http://eaglerockbrewery.wordpress.co...iry-equipment/
    John Little | Auburn, Alabama
    General Counsel, Southern Farmhouse

Comment

Re: boil kettle from tank

Yes, I've seen the Eagle Rock Brewery page. However, what they used for a boil kettle was actually originally a cooking kettle (used to pasteurize milk).

What we are trying to use is a bulk milk tank, it was used to cool the milk.

Here is a link to a picture of one:

Comment

Go electric. You can get 2 or 3 low density electric elements for about $20 a piece. 2 will be enough to boil 100 gallons. 3-4 will get you there quicker, but you will need to shut off two of them (most likely) to get a proper evaporation rate. we have used a homemade electric kettle for a little over a year now and aside from having to clean the elements after every batch they are trouble free and very energy efficient.
        Last edited by hammer; 09-20-2011, 06:01 AM.
        Keith Yager
        Head Brewer/Owner
        Yellowhammer Brewing Co.
        www.yellowhammerbrewery.com

Comment

2 5500W heating elements are plenty for 100 gallons.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirsty_Monk
            2 5500W heating elements are plenty for 100 gallons.
            Now doesn't that seem to be a bit low on watts to get up to boiling quick enough? Sure, the wort temp would be about 70 C when injected to the BK so the step up to 100 isn't huge so maybe it would work. I'm planning for a 90G kettle and will not go lower than 20KW. On the other hand I will use it to heat water to infusion temp aswell but it will still take closer to 1 hour to heat that amount from room temp to boiling according to my calcualtions so 11000 W seem to be a bit low? Might be my calculations that are wrong though

Comment

2 are enough to bring 100 gal. to a boil and hold it at a steady, roiling boil. 4 will get you there faster. It will take you probably about an hour to go from 165 to boiling with only 2 elements. Not undoable, but 3 or 4 elements will speed up the process. Then turn off 2 and you should be good.

One word of caution about these elements, don't put them too close to the bottom of the kettle. I had mine positioned about 4 inches and had some scortching problems.
              Last edited by hammer; 09-20-2011, 09:37 AM.
              Keith Yager
              Head Brewer/Owner
              Yellowhammer Brewing Co.

Comment

Hey yellow hammer I would like to see how you wired these up. I am looking at using a combination of direct fire - whcih I am currently using on my 60gallon kettle - and electric once I go to my 160 gallon kettle.

I can go to Home Depot and get a 5500 watt element for $20 but how do I enclose the terminals on the outside of the kettle?

I checked with Wattco and they quoted me around $400 for an enclosed 5500 watt heating element
                Tim Eichinger
                Visit our website blackhuskybrewing.com

Comment

Direct fire!
                  Stick a couple of big-ass propane or natural gas burnesr (300 to 400k btu) under there and your done. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/cast-...rner-only.html

Comment

Electric is way, way more efficient than direct fire propane. I used direct fire for about 2 months. Electric is much, much better for that size boil.

Callmetim - I can send you pictures. PM me your email address.
                    Keith Yager
                    Head Brewer/Owner
                    Yellowhammer Brewing Co.

Comment

Re: boil kettle from tank

Hammer, we'd also appreciate seeing pictures of your setup with the electric burners. Are these immersible burners you're using?

Comment

Scorching can be prevented if you recirc the wort once you put the heaters on and you gotta keep them clean otherwise you get hot spots for scorching...ask me how I know.

I have 24kw in 700 litres, wish I had more. Runoff gets the 24kw, roll with 12kw. Configure it so you can dial it in.

Cheers,
                        Jeff
                        Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
                        Chairman of the Beer
                        Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
                        Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
                        W: www.lovibonds.com
                        F: LovibondsBrewery
                        T: @Lovibonds

Comment

I bought a 5500 w heating element form High Gravity Brewing and a 1 inch nut from Bargain Fittings. installed the breaker and dryer outlet and the whole thing cost me about $100. Put it in a 60 gallon kettle and it works great.
                          Tim Eichinger
                          Visit our website blackhuskybrewing.com

Comment

Working...
                          X