Kettle Fire Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kettle Fire Box

We're working on setting up our 7 bbl kettle, a converted dairy tank of some sort, flat bottomed, with a lip/skirt around the middle.

I'm curious what others have done regarding the firebox.
    We're hooking up one of these as our burner: http://www.tejassmokers.com/newproducts_page6.htm
    and connecting to natural gas.

We were thinking of some "wet and stick" fiberglass insulation with an aluminum sheet riveted to the skirt of the kettle.
    An 8" flue?
    What type of intake for this type of setup?

Thanks!
    Gerard
    Forest and Main Brewing Company

Search threads. Especially for inspectors not liking homemade kettles.

Comment

i would second the search. Inspectors will not want a rigged together firebox. Your flue probably needs to be double wall galvanized steel with a barometric damper. I helped the company that we had do both our flues with the installation and it's pretty simple. Next time I would probably just do it myself. I am insulating my firebox tomorrow. I believe we are using some sort of ceramic insulation in it, which I believe is the standard. search mc-master carr for that...wasn't too expensive and we're overnighting it so its readily available. Your gas intake is based on the btu of your burner. A plumber can tell you that or a quick internet search. For our 800,000 btu burner we ran 1.25 inch gas line (99% positive on that). This is my first time setting up a direct fire kettle but it's all happened in the last month so it's pretty recent in mind. Hopefully that helps.

Comment

This will sound quite naive, but who will be inspecting our kettle?

I imagine it may vary from place to place.

We are in a borough; a brief conversation with the fire inspector a while back made it sound like he wouldn't be too involved with our project, we would be dealing more with the code inspector. Would this inspection be part of his use/occupancy inspection?

Thanks!
        Gerard

Comment

Originally posted by chaser
          i would second the search. Inspectors will not want a rigged together firebox. Your flue probably needs to be double wall galvanized steel with a barometric damper. I helped the company that we had do both our flues with the installation and it's pretty simple. Next time I would probably just do it myself. I am insulating my firebox tomorrow. I believe we are using some sort of ceramic insulation in it, which I believe is the standard. search mc-master carr for that...wasn't too expensive and we're overnighting it so its readily available. Your gas intake is based on the btu of your burner. A plumber can tell you that or a quick internet search. For our 800,000 btu burner we ran 1.25 inch gas line (99% positive on that). This is my first time setting up a direct fire kettle but it's all happened in the last month so it's pretty recent in mind. Hopefully that helps.
          What kind of PSI (or water column) are you running?
          Two Fisted Brewing co.
          in planning stages, slated for west
          side of Grand Rapids MI.
          troy@twofistedbrewing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Terroir
            This will sound quite naive, but who will be inspecting our kettle?

I imagine it may vary from place to place.

We are in a borough; a brief conversation with the fire inspector a while back made it sound like he wouldn't be too involved with our project, we would be dealing more with the code inspector. Would this inspection be part of his use/occupancy inspection?

Thanks!
            the building department will want to see that everything is adequately vented etc. they will need to see this on the plan drawings, and may even ask for specific manufacturer information on the type of kettle or burner used. at least that has been my experience so far...
            Scott LaFollette
            Fifty West Brewing Company
            Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

Need to double check our psi.
              Our gas isn't hooked up just yet.
              We're planning on a 400,000 btu burner though...
              Gerard

Comment

Kettle Fire Box

My inspectors required the burner to be installed and plumbed by a state certified HVAC tech. Also depending upon the BTU of your burner, you may have to enclose your brewhouse away from cellar and other areas of your brewery. In Montana if your burner exceeds 500,000 you are required to use a steam system or self contain your brewhouse in it's own room.

Michael Uhrich
                Carter's Brewing
                Billings, MT

Comment

Working...
                X