Grain Dispersal in the Grist Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grain Dispersal in the Grist Case

Our grist case is unfortunately a little too small to hold a full batch's worth of grist at the angle of repose, and I'm wondering if anyone's had to deal with this issue and knows of a good solution.

We previously had the grist case sitting just above floor level and augered up to above the mash tun to mash in. While it was by no means convenient, it wasn't too terrible a hassle to a prop a ladder up against the grist case and spread the grain around with a shovel before it started to back up.
    We recently suspended the grist case above the mash tun though, and installed a chain disc system, which has made it pretty impractical and unsafe to climb up there and do it by hand.

Our solution so far has been to time mash-in to start as soon as we're down to 10 to 12 bags from the end of milling (batches range from 39 - 45 bags, so i guess it's more than "a little too small"). This works for the time being, but has its drawbacks. It requires milling during mash-in, which makes me uncomfortable for a number of reasons, including the need for 2 people to do the job, and the fact that it doesn't account for equipment failure during the process. There's a lot of room for error and bad timing has caused a couple of back-ups into the chain disc system, which is a mess.

So far we've tossed around a couple of different ideas for dispersing the grain more evenly (it will all fit if it's spread flat, just not in a heap):
    -some sort of spinning blade contraption hanging from the outlet
    -some sort of cone-shaped contraption hanging from the outlet
    -a dome- or cone-shaped lid for the whole case so it will hold more volume (not a lot of vertical space to work with here, though)
    -something that vibrates the whole case
    -???

Reducing batch size is really not an option, certainly not by 1/4..

Thanks in advice for any ideas you have to share!

Nate
    Last edited by GoldenArm; 10-27-2011, 03:00 PM.

Sounds like craft brewing to me!

"Beer for the Greater Good"

Comment

get another grist case, ours is a pyramidal with tall sides and is all wood, built it ourselves and sized it to handle up to 1500 lbs. Nothing like beating on the side of the case with your fist to get all the grist to drop out.

Comment

Originally posted by South County
        get another grist case, ours is a pyramidal with tall sides and is all wood, built it ourselves and sized it to handle up to 1500 lbs. Nothing like beating on the side of the case with your fist to get all the grist to drop out.
        Did you guys line the inside of yours with anything? I just built one to hold about 1200# out of wood. We used 45 degree slopes about 2/3 the way up and then its flat sided. Am kind of wondering whether the grain is going to slide easily down the sides. Was thinking of lining it with the plastic sheets that come in between layers of cans on a pallet. I'll keep the rubber mallet within reach also of course.

Comment

Nope, just plain plywood. We did line the joints in the angle portion with metal hvac tape. We do check it periodically.

Comment

get a vibrator- mounts on side of tun, plugs into 110 outlet. look in Grainger and MMCarr
            Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
            tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
            "Your results may vary"

Comment

Working...
            X