PDA

View Full Version : Due Diligence on Septic

beereaucrat
11-14-2011, 12:15 PM
I know there have been many posts regarding breweries in rural areas where public sewer is not an option and a septic system must be used. I'm pretty sure I've read them all. Our production location has already been determined as there was already a brewery on site prior to my involvement, but they were doing extract brewing. We won't be doing that (going all grain of course), so obviously we will be produced more waste than the previous guy. I have a good grasp of what the system capabilities are in terms of wastewater volume it can take on a daily basis and how our CIP processes fall into that. I just want to know if I am missing anything. Here's what I plan to do:

1) Dispose of our yeast off-site. (I know there will still be a very small amount of yeast left in the tanks, but the CIP should kill it)
2) Have a local farmer pick up our spent grains.
3) Mix our spent hops in with the grains
4) Use the 5-Star septic friendly products for CIP and only use as much water is necessary to get the job done right.

If someone who has a brewery on septic can add anything to what I have already listed here, please let me know. Any suggestions are welcome!