Carbonating stone solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbonating stone solution

Brewery startup here. I purchased some 7bl tanks from Glacier tanks that came with uselessly small triclamp ports. They are 1 1/2" Triclamp but the hole is only 3/4". I need to carbonate through these ports. Does anyone know where I can get a carbonating stone that will fit that small of a hole. I see GW Kent has 1/2" stones but they are only 4" long. It says it is for carbonating small tanks. Maybe 7bl is considered a small tank.

Thanks for your help.

Inline?

Not that it's what you asked but have ever thought of inline carbonating? I do it on my 7bbl system and love the results. I never have to carbonate in the tank. I just use the stone I aerate with on brewdays and set it up on the outlet of the filter or just in line of the transfer if I'm not filtering. A long hose and a little back pressure at the receiving tank and all the gas dissolves by the time it gets to the tank, no foaming.
    Just a thought...
    Cheers
    Jay Stoyanoff
    Brewmaster
    Plattsburgh Brewing Co.
    Plattsburgh, NY

Comment

Originally posted by I H8 UM
      Brewery startup here. I purchased some 7bl tanks from Glacier tanks that came with uselessly small triclamp ports. They are 1 1/2" Triclamp but the hole is only 3/4". I need to carbonate through these ports. Does anyone know where I can get a carbonating stone that will fit that small of a hole. I see GW Kent has 1/2" stones but they are only 4" long. It says it is for carbonating small tanks. Maybe 7bl is considered a small tank.

Thanks for your help.
      Hiya,
      I have one of those carbonating stones from GWKent. I use it on my ten barrel system with good results. Takes about four-six hours to bring a tank to 2.9volumes at 30degrees F. I have had very good results if I store the stone dry, connect the CO2 to it and then put it in a bucket of hot StarSan to bubble for several minutes. After that, I install it into the bottom (and only) port on my Brite tank.

Prost!
      Dave
      Glacier Brewing Company
      406-883-2595
      info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

I think you could get in touch with JVNW and they might fabricate some for you. I doubt it would be cheap but you would be able to get it taken care of.

Comment

Thanks for the solutions. ProBrewer is great.

I will try both solutions and see what works best for me.

Rich

Comment

The tanks are new from Glacier tanks. I should have seen it in the description when I ordered it. Not sure what they use them for.

Comment

How about making a threaded pipe that would fit through the 3/4" triclamp hole, and thread the carb stone onto the end through the door once the pipe is in place on the tank?
              Linus Hall
              Yazoo Brewing
              Nashville, TN
              www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

It sound like I would have to have a carb stone for each tank. That might work.

Thanks.

Rich
                Last edited by I H8 UM; 11-24-2011, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X