DE Filtration - Spadoni DCBL-150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DE Filtration - Spadoni DCBL-150

Ok guys I need some help. The bosses have acquired a DE filter and want to start using it but the problem is that I've never used one. We currently use a plate filter but they seem to think this is going to work so much better. I have read some about DE filtration but not enough to be an expert for sure. If anybody has any info, words of wisdom or general knowledge on DE filtration or this unit in particular, it would be so helpful...

Cheers,
    Rich

Here are some pics of the unit. Sorry but I didn't have any way to resize them correctly before posting.

Pressure-leaf filtration

At the risk of underestimating your abilities, I would not go this alone. I once wrote a manual with my old assistant on filration with a similar unit and we counted a total of 118 steps. It takes many filtrations to become fluent with one of these.

After 2 years of not using one, I know that I would need to be re-trained on their operation. Sure I understand the major steps of sanitize, purge and pressurize, fill, pre-coat, filter, and than blowing down, but there are a lot of valves and it would take me some time to re-learn.

My best advice is to find a local brewer or wine-maker that knows how to use one and have them train you. I really don't think learning it on your own is a viable option.

And, BTW, your owners are right. This is FAR better than plate and frame. From both a speed and O2 pickup standpoint, far better.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by barleywhiner
      At the risk of underestimating your abilities, I would not go this alone. I once wrote a manual with my old assistant on filration with a similar unit and we counted a total of 118 steps. It takes many filtrations to become fluent with one of these.

After 2 years of not using one, I know that I would need to be re-trained on their operation. Sure I understand the major steps of sanitize, purge and pressurize, fill, pre-coat, filter, and than blowing down, but there are a lot of valves and it would take me some time to re-learn.

My best advice is to find a local brewer or wine-maker that knows how to use one and have them train you. I really don't think learning it on your own is a viable option.

And, BTW, your owners are right. This is FAR better than plate and frame. From both a speed and O2 pickup standpoint, far better.

Cheers,
      Jeff
      This ^

I haven't used one in a while either, I know I would need a refresher. Unlike some things, it isn't "riding a bike". I feel like I could step into most breweries, look around and make a good beer in a day or two... not so much with a DE filter. BUT, once you get the knack they really do work.

Comment

Yeah after reading about it and looking it over I knew it wasn't going to be easy. I'll have to look around and see if any of the other breweries in FL that are using DE and see if they can give us a lesson..

Cheers and thanks for the comments
        Rich

Comment

filtration on spadoni

Give Spadoni a call for a manual at the very least. If they can't get you one, phone Prospero to see if they can get you one. Can't tell by the photogs, but there seems to be a couple of pieces missing?

Comment

Originally posted by Kozel
            Give Spadoni a call for a manual at the very least. If they can't get you one, phone Prospero to see if they can get you one. Can't tell by the photogs, but there seems to be a couple of pieces missing?
            Not a bad idea...

as to missing parts; I used one identical to this and the only thing I can see for sure is that you will want a blowdown hose coming off the top of the bell, otherwise someone's going to get it in the face!

Comment

Yeah we have a crappy photo copied manual but calling them for a real one isn't a bad idea. As for missing parts I'd love to know what you think, I'm aware of the blowdown hose missing but I haven't noticed anything else..

Thanks again for all the input guys

Comment

if it is anything like mine I can certainly help and would be happy to.

401 862 1483. I use a dcbl-80 and have it down to a science...

Comment

Working...
                X