Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO2 tank -> 02 tank

Hello All,

I have a recently emptied 15 lb. CO2 tank - is there any reason I can't re-purpose this tank into an 02 tank for use on the brewhouse venturi? Will I have to change the primary regulator?

Also, I am having trouble finding an appropriate inline air filter for the venturi - I have considered using my compressor to aerate a few batches but I'm not sure what type of filter to source locally or from the internet. How many CFMs will be required to aerate inline? This is a simple 7BBL system.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

John
    John Bleichert
    Water Street Brewing Co.
    Binghamton, NY

I would NEVER use it for anything other than the original gas.

Apart from the obvious dangers of incorrect markings (what happens if someone thinks it contains CO2 and uses it for a welding shield gas?), the fittings for oxygen are not the same as for CO2 so I doubt you would get anyone to fill it.

Comment

There are no markings on the tank to confuse, and I realize I will need new fittings. I'll have to sort out the fittings and gauges tomorrow.

Thanks!
      John Bleichert
      Water Street Brewing Co.
      Binghamton, NY

Comment

CO2 cylinders are also lower pressure than other gases. Certainly here in the UK CO2 is around 50bar whereas oxygen is very much higher.

I really don't see why you don't just buy the correct item...

Comment

Yeah, that's what I am curious about. If there is a pressure delta then I'll get a new tank. Trying to save the $$$

:-)
          John Bleichert
          Water Street Brewing Co.
          Binghamton, NY

Comment

O2 CYLINDER EXPLODES WHILE BEING REPAIRED (STILL PHOTOS)

Watch this, then tell me how many $$$'s saving it's worth. I don't want to sound like a scaremonger, but all it takes is one slight error.

Comment

I agree completely. I wasn't aware O2 was stored at a higher pressure. That's why I asked. Can't ask my local gas supplier on Sunday :-) It is also why am interested in simply filtering an air supply from my omnipresent air compressor...

Thanks!

John
              Last edited by Supernaut; 12-18-2011, 11:24 AM.
              John Bleichert
              Water Street Brewing Co.
              Binghamton, NY

Comment

The threads are different.
                I just went and checked my co2 vs o2 and you can't do it.
                Just go to a welding shop and trade the tank in. I own all my tanks so I can fill it anywhere. Todd

Comment

Compressed oxygen storage and distribution must also follow strict cleaning for service. Special regulators. No oil. Unless you're making really strong beers, I've always appreciated clean, cheap, reliable air. No flowmeter, no tank, no expensive oxygen, no worries.
                  Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
                  X