In-line carbonation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-line carbonation

Does anyone have any experience with a machine like this?
    The Chi-Company, a home brewing company since 1996 McCann's Big Mac Carbonator 220V for Export [McCanns-BigMac-09T07114] - McCann's Big Mac Carbonator - 220Vac for Export NOTE: These are ordered as needed from McCann's. Please allow a 14 day lead time before we can ship to you. The McCann Big Mac "Ambient Temperature" Carbonator for High Usage (from 3 to 12 soda dispensers operating at one time). Features: External cooling of seltzer output

I'm specifically looking to reduce startup costs for a cidery, avoid buying a brite tank. I remember seeing one in use somewhere along the line but can't remember who.
    Nat West

Originally posted by revnatscider
    Does anyone have any experience with a machine like this?
    The Chi-Company, a home brewing company since 1996 McCann's Big Mac Carbonator 220V for Export [McCanns-BigMac-09T07114] - McCann's Big Mac Carbonator - 220Vac for Export NOTE: These are ordered as needed from McCann's. Please allow a 14 day lead time before we can ship to you. The McCann Big Mac "Ambient Temperature" Carbonator for High Usage (from 3 to 12 soda dispensers operating at one time). Features: External cooling of seltzer output

I'm specifically looking to reduce startup costs for a cidery, avoid buying a brite tank. I remember seeing one in use somewhere along the line but can't remember who.
    How does the volumes of carbonation you're looking to get mesh with that piece of equipment? It looks like the output is too high to me, but I could be wrong...
    Kevin Shertz
    Chester River Brewing Company
    Chestertown, MD

Comment

It totally appears too high, 100 psi looks like the recommended setting.

Can the wittemann pinpoint carbonator do low volumes of co2, like <3.92g/l ?

I see a couple folks on the forums here have that unit, but I wonder the price. I'll have to send off for a quote.
      Nat West

Comment

carbonater

That thing is for carbonating water and then blending with soft drink syrup, not sure how it would work for beer. Coca-Cola installs units like that with their fountain systems.

Comment

The Wittemann is very accurate and can easily do lower levels. Higher levels are harder.
          Joel Halbleib
          Partner / Zymurgist
          Hive and Barrel Meadery
          6302 Old La Grange Rd
          Crestwood, KY
          www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

I've heard good things about thew witteman. also have heard its pretty pricey. If your really looking to reduce costs you could set up your own loop with a 'T' and a carb stone. It's not pinpoint carbonation, you still have to zahm the tank, but I use one inline on the way from the fermenter to the bright tank and usually get about 2.0 volumes just from that. I've also used it in a loop during an emergency to carb a bright tank that had it's stone clogged, so it can be used with a uni-tank like you are describing.

Comment

Good info, chaser. What is the incoming beer temp, PSI on the inline stone, and hose sizes?
              Nat West

Comment

When transferring it I keep the bright tank around 12 psi, and the pressure on the stone about 27-30 psi. If you hook up a sight glass right off the inline stone the top 1/4 or so of the sight glass should show foam. Any more foam than that and I feel like you risk 'beating up' the beer. We use 1.5" hoses. It was a few years ago (and only once) when I had to set up a loop to carb a bright tank so I don't remember exactly how I did it, but it follows the same principle.

Comment

Working...
                X