Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purging Velo w/ CO2??

Hey guys,

We currently purge the sani loop out of our velo 10 sq. meter vertical DE filter using CO2. The velo manual strongly recommends to not put any gaseous pressure on the filter. What is everyone else doing?

thanks!

Trey

Fill it with water push the water out with a nudge of co2.
    Joel Halbleib
    Partner / Zymurgist
    Hive and Barrel Meadery
    6302 Old La Grange Rd
    Crestwood, KY
    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Originally posted by BrewinLou
      Fill it with water push the water out with a nudge of co2.
      Yes. That is SOP in my house.
      Cheers!
      David R. Pierce

Comment

ok...and that definitely seems to be the easiest/most efficient way of purging. I'm just wondering b/c I am trying to write an sop for the 10 sq meter Velo, and I just wouldn't want any legal repercussions to fall upon the brewery in the future...because Velo sure is covering their a$$

Comment

As long as you have the CO2 regulated to not exceed 15psi, you should be fine (legally).
          When all else fails, forget the hammer. It's time for explosives!

Comment

Don't forget Nitrogen, If you have it.

Comment

After the bell is empty of water you can crack open the valve over to the dosing tank and leave a nice blanket of co2 in your dosing tank as well. If you are purging from the top of the bell as I do.
              Joel Halbleib
              Partner / Zymurgist
              Hive and Barrel Meadery
              6302 Old La Grange Rd
              Crestwood, KY
              www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

BrewinLou- yea, thats exactly what we are currently doing...and with the blanket of CO2, it seems to be ideal. Do you use the carb stone in the slurry bell as well?

Guestimate - Do you say 15 psi would be legally safe from something you've read from Velo, or are you going off the standard limit for non-pressure tanks?

Comment

No I do not. I have thought of keeping a trickle of co2 going on top of the dose reservoir, but have never had significant DO pickup there.

I would not be too concerned about 15 psi on a bell that has a factory installed 16 bar pressure gauge. Our emergency cut off pressure switch kicks in at 8 bar. If it can hold 8 bar of liquid pressure I do not think there is a problem with 1 bar of gas pressure.
                  Joel Halbleib
                  Partner / Zymurgist
                  Hive and Barrel Meadery
                  6302 Old La Grange Rd
                  Crestwood, KY
                  www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

I have a spadoni 3 square meter. During water precoat phase I have CO2 valve cracked with the line from the bell to the dosing tank just barely cracked as well. You can hear a "gattling gun" of bubbling occuring. This way when I am done pre-coating and all water is discharged throguh the bottom before beer comes in I will have 1) a fully purged grant and fitler with CO2 and 2) any remaining water will have CO2 that bubbled out the O2. Soda companies do this lots.

as far as Velo covering their ass....well I got a story about my filter bell. About 5 years ago I was scavenging the rest of a 40 bbl run, applying about 50 psi on top of bell. When the beer was almost out, the lower clamp gave way, the bell launched off the filter, missed my head by about a foot, traveled up to the 24 ft ceiling (missing electrical, water, and sprinkler lines), punctured and went through the roof of the building, and landed in the parking lot on the other side. Luckily it was 6 am, so no one was hurt. The lower 5 disks of my filter looked like pringles potatoe chips (the still do work mind you...). I couldn't hear for about 5 hours due to the sonic shock.

I literally bounced around on top of the bell to make it round again, bought a new clamp, new pressure relief valve (the old one still works and triggers at 80 psi, new one I got or 60 PSI), new pressure guage, and new bottom gasket. And to be honest, the filter has never worked better....

Filter parts, shipping, and phone calls to Italy: $450
                    Repair to roof: $4500 (yes, it was that much)
                    Able to still hear, talk, and write things on probrewer b/c I didn't die: priceless

Comment

Working...
                    X