3 bbl mlt false bottom construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 bbl mlt false bottom construction

I'm building a 3bbl mash tun and had a question about false bottoms.

I see most homebrew false bottoms are stainless steel 18 gauge perforated sheet. I'm no expert, but seems that 18 gauge would be too thin for the weight of 3bbl mash.

What would be a good thinkness to consider?

Thanks,
    Chris

Manifold...

Another option is to build a manifold with perforated (small slots or holes) pipes... That is what we use on our pilot keggles system and it works like a charm

Comment

Thanks

I thought about doing that when I was looking at a few dairy tank. But I really would like to do a complete false bottom. The tank I'm building has a nice slightly concave bottom. So I think I would be better off in the long run with false bottom.

Comment

+1 on the manifold idea... cutting cost does not always lead to the best solution, but it works for these guys and i will most likely be going the same route for my 3 bbl. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt1OXoDbqGs

thats nice that you picked up a tank with a dish bottom- is it a center drain?

Comment

3 Bbl Mlt

I too have a 3 BBL dish bottom tank with a two inch triclover center drain that I am looking to outfit with a full size false bottom. I have looked at the custom screens from Morebeer and the largest one they make is the appropriate diameter for my tank, however I am unsure about how this will hold up to the weight of the grain. I know there are standoffs attached, but I beleive these screens are generally manufactured for flat bottom tanks and may not work very well with my dish bottom. I have thought about adding further standoffs for increased support and have not ruled this out as of yet. I understand that this is likely going to require some custom fabrication, and I wanted to know if anyone else has commissioned a similar project. Thank you all for your continued supply of wisdom, it has been my roadmap for this project, and thank you in advance for considering my question.
          Aaren M. Simoncini
          The Beer'd Brewing Co. LLC
          22 Bayview Ave. Unit # 15
          Stonington, CT. 06378
          Aaren@beerdbrewing.com

Comment

you guys should check out this guy- pretty sure he builds custom FB's
            Shop online homebrew beer, wine, spirits, mead, and soda pop equipment, Jaybird false bottoms, brew paddles, yeast brinks and harvesters at NorCal Brewing Solutions

Comment

defenestrate... yes my outlet is center of the tank.

I didn't realize More Beer sold FB that large. There largest is still too small for my MLT, but I'm wondering if I could get away with it. I worry a bit about efficiency around the outer edge if my FB doesn't snug up against the wall.

It is only 18 gauge which is really thin. But I'm guessing that maybe with enough supports and using a grant so that there is no suction on the grain bed it might hold.

32 inch for $220 is cheaper than raw perforated sheet and having it cut.

GallowsHillBrew... how is your efficiency with the slotted pipe method?

Comment

I made a false bottom out of this:

$100 shipped isn't bad for the amount of perforated stainless. You can then spend a little money having someone weld supports/legs toward the center.

Comment

Originally posted by lebowski714
                  GallowsHillBrew... how is your efficiency with the slotted pipe method?
                  Depending on the ambient temperature... In the region of 75-85%

Comment

Working...
                  X