sloped bottom on BK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sloped bottom on BK?

i know i've posted quite a bit about used dairy tanks and i greatly appreciate everyones feedback but just looking for some opinions on sloped bottom tanks...

there are tons of these tanks on ebay, but most if not all of them are listed as sloped bottoms, some as little as 1/2 IN though. just for example here is one. its not ideal, i know; being so dirty, not sure what was inside, etc...but just for the sloped bottom purposes...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Groen-T...item460024a9a0

first problem that comes to mind on a slopped bottom is whirlpooling- obviously having the hotbreak/hop material settle right over the drain is not ideal. do you think a 1/2 in slope is small enough that it would not present a problem, or would i be needing some sort of falsebottom/filter?

thanks as always...

I guess it would be nice to put a valve on the opposite side of the tank. Trub settles on the far side, and you pick up clean wort.
    Troy Robinson
    Quirk Brewing
    Walla Walla

Comment

Originally posted by troybinso
      I guess it would be nice to put a valve on the opposite side of the tank. Trub settles on the far side, and you pick up clean wort.
      true that would work... i was hoping i could utilize the TC clamp already in place

Comment

Use the middle port for kettle drain and add on on the sloped side for wort draw-off. Also add a 'hop-damm' in front of the draw off point.
        Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
        tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
        "Your results may vary"

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Briggs
          Use the middle port for kettle drain and add on on the sloped side for wort draw-off. Also add a 'hop-damm' in front of the draw off point.
          i'm not sure what you mean with the middle port?

Comment

could probably get away with this at 1/2 in slope

Comment

Thought you ment a tank with a middle draw off point- if not you might be able to just add a hop damm. Pub kettles are made this way and my works well- with a slight slope the trub pile will still settle in the middle.
              Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
              tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
              "Your results may vary"

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Briggs
                Thought you ment a tank with a middle draw off point- if not you might be able to just add a hop damm. Pub kettles are made this way and my works well- with a slight slope the trub pile will still settle in the middle.
                thats what i was thinking with a 1/2 slope, it wouldn't be a big enough slope to "slide" the pile.

thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X