Glycol chilling system advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glycol chilling system advice?

We are setting up a 7bbl system with 3 7bbl fermenters and 6 3.5 bbl brite tanks in a new microbrewery. We would like to possibly upgrade to 6 7bbl fermenters in the future, if all goes smoothly with the opening.

Looking at glycol chilling systems.....it seems we would need around 3,100 BTU hours to cool 215 gallons from 75-40 degrees prior to brite transfer. Does anyone know how many BTU hours it takes to cool wort, is it just a delta T over an hour. Would a 5,000 BTU/hour system be adequate to crash cool a fermenter, chill wort to pitching temp, and maintain up to 5 others at 62-68 if ambient air is anywhere up to 80 degrees in the summer? One fermenter would possibly have a lager and be around 50. Brites will be in the cold room so they are not an issue for the chiller. Is a 5 HP at 27 degrees capable of 5,000 BTU/hours or should I be looking at bigger systems?

I've called a couple of the manufacturers but they are slow getting back to me.

Best,
    Eric
    Eric O'Connor

Co-founder/Brewmaster
    Thorn Street Brewery
    North Park, San Diego, CA

Pro Refrigeration

I'm also trying to size a 7 bbl set up and have received helpful advice from Pro Refigeration. They have a Brew Load Survey Form (pdf & xls) that you can fill out and send to them and they'll estimate total load.

Dave Cowie
    Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
    Nevada City, CA

Comment

Our Brewery Load Survey sheet that barleyfreak linked is a great place to start. It is a good way to get us all the information we need to run the load estimate as quickly as possible.

I did run some load scenarios based on your expected 6 EA 7 Bbl FV, and come up with a Brewery Load in the 10,000 to 12,000 BTU/HR Range. This would put you into a 2 HP (17,000 BTU/HR Rating @ 28 F Glycol and 90 F ambient) to 3 HP (22,000 BTU/HR Rating @ 28 F Glycol and 90 F ambient) Chiller System.

The above estimate includes some assumptions and doesn't account for utilizing the Chiller for servicing a Cold Liquor Tank or assisting with wort Cooling- nor does it include any Cold Room Load if you are interested in having your chiller system service the cold room. These are covered on the Survey Sheet.

Hope this helps- please contact us with any more questions.

Thanks
      Jim

Pro Refrigeration Inc.

Comment

Working...
      X