Rule of thumb for Ceiling Height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rule of thumb for Ceiling Height

I’m having trouble finding properties with a full 20 foot of ceiling height. They are all pretty close, around 15-18, but nothing a full 20.
    Any care to comment about this as a hard requirement? If the building requires very little build out otherwise, is 16ft ceiling doable? I’m expecting to have to purchase new tanks anyway as the used market is competitive right now. Cant those be built to accommodate ceiling heights?

Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks for helping out a noob.

What size tanks?

Your height restriction is based off what size tanks you're going with. Once you decide on the size equipment (10bbl, 20bbl, 50bbl ect) you're going with, you can then decide on the space. Also, most of the time you can get a spec sheet from equipment suppliers that shows the height of each of their different volume tanks. Often, they have multiple sizes for each of the bbl size. For example, I have a premiere stainless spec sheet that shows that if you want to buy a 60bbl fermenter from them, you can get it with a max height of 12', 15', or 16'. I'd leave a little room to grow but I'd think 16' would be adequate unless you're starting with a massive system right from the start. When you ask for quotes, also ask for the dimensions of the equipment and that will help you decide if the 16' is ok for you.

Cheers

Originally posted by drinkrealbeer
    I’m having trouble finding properties with a full 20 foot of ceiling height. They are all pretty close, around 15-18, but nothing a full 20.
    Any care to comment about this as a hard requirement? If the building requires very little build out otherwise, is 16ft ceiling doable? I’m expecting to have to purchase new tanks anyway as the used market is competitive right now. Cant those be built to accommodate ceiling heights?

Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks for helping out a noob.
    Kaskaskia Brewing Company

Comment

Head Space

Just remember that you're going to have to balance the cost of the building height with the inconvenience of having no space to work once the tanks are in. I've been in one brewery where there was about 10" from the top of the fittings to the ceiling, and it was difficult to manipulate parts in that space.

In another brewery, we had about 3.5' between the top of the tank and the ceiling (there were nails sticking through, got kind of sketchy), but we had to sit on top of the tank to remove all of the parts (they were big FVs).

I guess that the moral of the story is that, if the tank is wide diameter and you have to get on top if it to service it, plan in enough space to maneuver comfortably. If you can manipulate all of the parts from a single point (say, from a ladder), you can squeak buy with a less head space. I'd say small diameter, make sure there's at least 18", large diameter, 3-4'.

All the best,
      Bill

Comment

We're running a 30 bbl. brewhouse w/ several 60 bbl. fermentors (of reasonable geometry) under 16 ft. ceilings w/ no problem. We're producing ~6,500 bbl/yr. easily and, from the standpoint of the system, inefficiently. (Being a brewpub with a wide variety of styles and tank sizes.)
        Clarke Pelz
        Cynosure Brewing

Comment

Working...
        X