Yeast Pitch Rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast Pitch Rates

Hello all, new to the brewing scene and trying to get my tiny nano going. I was wondering what people are using for pitch rates. I am a 1 bbl brew house with a couple 2bbl fermenters. From all the reading I have done it looks likes I should have 17mil cells/ml for a 17plato wort. Sound right?

What the best and most cost effective way of achieving the correct starting volume. I was thinking about getting a few homebrew size yeast packs from white labs (~ 70-120 billion/mL @ 35mL pack) and propagating them to the correct size. Anyone have any input on how long that should take and the best way of doing it?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Roei-
    Ale house brewing company

Yeast Propping

Seems like you're on the right track. I personally like to go 1.5-1.75 mil/ml (I know that Chris White in Yeast isn't really behind that, but I like the results I get).

When propping, I've always gone in 10-fold steps. There is a chart in Yeast that gives the optimal pitch rates for propagation, so check there first. I've always then taken that step and upped it 10-fold in volume, and started again. Repeat until you have the cells you need.

Bill

Comment

You may want to visit www.brewingscience.com. They're offering yeast in both starter sizes and pitchable quantities. Great selection.

(I have no connection with them.)

Comment

I second BSI. You can specify what volume you are pitching and what cell count you want, instead of just ordering "7BBL pitchable."

"Beer for the Greater Good"

Comment

Here is some good info from Wyest pro website.

This calculator will also help. You just need to know you inoculation rate for your starting yeast supply and the target cell volume.

The calculations used are the ones published in Yeast.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Chris

Comment

Thanks for the help. I have been reading all the yeast websites and trying to understand whats going on. That yeastcalc is killer! I just did another batch yesterday (my 4th R&D batch) for the new brewery. crossing my fingers that I have everything down now. Time to make some money back.... and stop force feeding my friends all the beer that arent up to my expectations.

Comment

Working...
            X