Ok Price for Water Filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok Price for Water Filter?

I got a bid for 2 activated carbon filters, 16 gallons per minute, with a digital monitor to track usage, for $2,700. Is that in the right ballpark for my filter cost? This is a 7 bbl brewery. We have good water, so we just need to get the chlorine out.

That's about $1000 more than we paid 5 years ago for the same set-up.

Look for the people who supply your local distilled or filtered water companies with thier activated carbon and the myriad of filter equipment they need to run - you can probably get what you're looking for at around $1200.

Comment

i have one carbon filter similar to what you describe. it cost about $600. so two would be about $1200 (plus shipping). shop online. i think mine actually came from an ebay store...
      Scott LaFollette
      Fifty West Brewing Company
      Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

water filter

GPM seems pretty low. for our 7bbl we have a 5 filter system, If I recall it runs over 30 GPM. It is all about contact time to get the chlorine out so you need something that will allow for enough contact area and time. We have a Parker setup and have been happy with it, I have like a 5 year supply of filters around 900 bucks. I would talk to your local rep who knows brewing and filtration and they can help you. I think the housing was around $1500
        Trent
        Shades of Pale
        Park City UT

Comment

What brand name are you guys looking at?
          Joel Halbleib
          Partner / Zymurgist
          Hive and Barrel Meadery
          6302 Old La Grange Rd
          Crestwood, KY
          www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

FYI - if you only get one charcoal filter housing, when the system goes to backflush, you'll be feeding straight city water thru it rather than charcoal filtered water. Some guys get around this by setting the backflush timer to occur late in the evening when they're not around.

Comment

Thanks, everybody. I've been looking at EcoWater-- they came recommended, and the salesman is very helpful. Any other brand suggestions?

Originally posted by rudge75
              FYI - if you only get one charcoal filter housing, when the system goes to backflush, you'll be feeding straight city water thru it rather than charcoal filtered water. Some guys get around this by setting the backflush timer to occur late in the evening when they're not around.
              I don't understand this part about setting the backflush timer to occur late at night, which makes me think I don't totally understand the whole backflush concept. Why is it different if it happens late at night?

Thanks,

John

Comment

When a charcoal filter goes into back flush mode, it switches the water feed to straight city water and pushes it backwards thru the charcoal to drain. This flushes out impurities and gets the charcoal refreshed and ready to go again. If you're in the middle of your brew day, that means you're getting 100% chlorinated water into your brew during the 20 or so minutes it takes to complete this operation.

Best case scenario, buy the double charcoal filter. Worst case scenario, set it to go off late at night when nobody's around and hope it doesn't flush out during a brewday sometime.

Comment

JSChicago, any luck in your search? I am in the process of opening a 10bbl system in Evanston and am trying to find the best route as well.

Thanks,

mfs

Comment

Working...
                  X