Checking on your brewery name...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking on your brewery name...

The brewery we intend to open has a somewhat... controversial name, some would probably say.

Is there a way we can check to see if the name is going to fly as a brewery, both the brewery itself and for our beers before we get deep into our planning?

Any thoughts and advice is much appreciated!

Be Who You Are

I'd say use some common sense. Tongue in cheek is par for the course in this business, as the word "Bitch" comes to mind as being used quite a bit. As far as the legality, you will find out from your local jurisdiction if it's gonna fly. Just be cautious of "offending" any race/color/creed/sexual orientation, and you should be fine, but broad spectrum marketing may be effected. My 2 cents.

Triplehorn Brewing Co.
    Woodinville, WA
    Rich Nesheim
    Triplehorn Brewing Co.
    Woodinville, WA

Comment

Well our potential company name is definitely a play on words and quite funny, and we intend to extend it into our beer names for sure. We're not worried about offending anyone in particular (it may be mildly offensive to some women), but I just didn't know the legality of it all. Seeing some of the stuff that makes labels, especially Sweetwater's beers, I kinda figure we're okay, but I just wanted to check and see if there was an official way to ask somebody federally or at any other level before we submit all of our paperwork and get declined.

Comment

Call your state business licencing authority. They should be able to help with the name. I doubt you'll have problems, unless your name uses off color language. That'd be the only disqualifier I can think of. Sweetwater Brewing definitely has identified it's target market...
        Rich Nesheim
        Triplehorn Brewing Co.
        Woodinville, WA

Comment

Awesome, thanks!

Comment

ass clown brewing company

I recently saw the most ridiculous name for a brewery I have ever come across. If the Fed's let this name fly I would say just about anything goes...

Looks like they have some good beers, just an unfortunate name (in my opinion).
            Scott LaFollette
            Fifty West Brewing Company
            Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by yap
              I recently saw the most ridiculous name for a brewery I have ever come across. If the Fed's let this name fly I would say just about anything goes...

Looks like they have some good beers, just an unfortunate name (in my opinion).
              Yep, that definitely beats ours. We are debating changing our name anyway to be more attractive to investors and the customer base in the area we plan to open. We'll see!

Comment

I've had occasion to sample Ass Clown beers (definitely nano territory). I especially like their (his) tagline..."Don't be one, drink one!"

Great River Brewery in Iowa has an IPA called "Big Cock." I think it's a bit precious how breweries seem to get away with this stuff where most other companies would not. Can you imagine a pickle company with "Big Cock Polski Ogorki?" I suppose restricting our product to adults makes it possible, but I doubt your local Safeway is going to stock Big Cock or Ass Clown.

Nat

Comment

Flying Dog won a free speech battle with the Michigan Liquor Board last year for "Raging Bitch". Also, one of their labels says "Good beer, no shit". I guess you can get away with just about anything, it just depends on how you want to portray your brand.
                  Troy Robinson
                  Quirk Brewing
                  Walla Walla

Comment

A beer made by 2nd Shift near St. Louis is named "Brew Cocky" which is obviously a play on words. Pretty solid beer I must say...

Comment

Very interesting insights indeed. It looks like we are going to succumb to investors and market/customer base and change our name... well we haven't created our company yet, so it's not a big "change," so to speak. We instead are going to go with a name that reflects the area we are developing in, historically, or something else... kind of like Cigar City with their name and most of their beer names. I think that kind of connection can be helpful and nice... plus, the more I think about it, the more I think our name, though awesome, just wouldn't work in the market we're going into.

Comment

well.....in that case

what was it? the suspense is killing me!

Comment

Cigar City would be cool! You could use old cigar bands and names for labels/styles. Just don't add nicotine or ammonia to the beer please... With the popularity of heavy sipping beers, you could steal away the cognac and cigar crowd.
                          Rich Nesheim
                          Triplehorn Brewing Co.
                          Woodinville, WA

Comment

Haha, Cigar City already exists, silly! It's an amazing brewery in Tampa. I just meant that LIKE Cigar City, we may end up choosing something that links us to the area we're opening. Cigar City opened in Tampa which has a rich Cuban cultural heritage, etc.

Originally posted by Rich_Ness
                            Cigar City would be cool! You could use old cigar bands and names for labels/styles. Just don't add nicotine or ammonia to the beer please... With the popularity of heavy sipping beers, you could steal away the cognac and cigar crowd.

Comment

If we don't end up using it, we may post it here... or not... it's a pretty good idea if you ask me, and we don't necessarily want to give it up!

Originally posted by gungadin
                              what was it? the suspense is killing me!

Comment

Working...
                              X