Vodka aeration-help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vodka aeration-help

I know this is off the brewing subject but I was wondering if anyone out there knew about how long to aerate vodka for in order to cause oxidation and develop a smoother flavor profile. Before or after charcol filtration? Pure o2 or sterile air? At what flow rate? Any info\links would be greatly apperciated.
    Bottoms Up!

You really should not have to aerate your grain neutral spirits prioir to charcoal filtration and I have never used this practice. With the quality of GNS these days it really is not needed. A simple charcoal filtration (granules or impregnated into filter sheets) is all that you really need. If that doesn't work change GNS suppliers or set a more stringent spec. for fusel oils. If all else fails and you really feel you need a smoother feel try adding either citric acid or sugar or a combination of the two (remeber you are limited to 0.1% w/w if you are making an unflavoured vodka) or as a last resort glycerine. Hope this helps.
    jonofdc

Comment

I would agree with jonofdc, I would say try a different carbon treatment or start with a better GNS. Analytically the GNS you buy from the big suppliers should have 0 to trace amounts in terms of ppm of Acetyaldehyde, fusel oils, and other impurtities. As for the carbon, many of the carbon suppliers out there supply different types of carbon that might work better for you. Contact your supplier and see what they have. You might have to experiment with a few before you find what you need but it will be worth the time in the end.

Comment

Are you producing this yourself?

If so, what does your gc look like?

Comment

Working...
        X