Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quarry tile sealant?

Hey all,

I've looked high and low, so my apologies if this has already been addressed.

I was just hired to build a little brewery in Montana. The owners want tile in the brewhouse and cellar. I want to use American Olean quarry tile, as recommended on this forum.

You all have made clear that quarry tile is the best. My contractor is arguing with me because he thinks it is too porous and wants to go with glazed porcelain, which I think is too thin and slippery.

For those of you who have used quarry tile, how is it doing? Did you seal it with anything? I know it will need epoxy grout, but is there a product (penetrating sealer?) that will stand up to brewery chemicals?

Thanks, folks.

Cheers,

Mike
    Head brewer, head-banger (against the wall)
    Philipsburg Brewing Co
    Philipsburg, MT
    Mike Elliott
    Head Brewer
    Philipsburg Brewing Co.
    Montana

Mike,

Google produces some possible sealants for quarry tiles.

Incidentally quarry tiles are available with a proportion of abrasive in the mix, which improves friction/grip on floors. I'd only be inclined to use glazed porcelain on walls and even then only where it's not likely to be subjected to any impacts as it cracks easily and is a pain to replace.

Comment

Glazed porcelain is not just "slippery". When wet, it is like ice. Not appropriate for a brewery floor. Also prone to chipping and cracking.
      Go with quarry tile or polished concrete. It is you that has to spend 8, er 10, actually 12 hours a day on it.
      Mike Lanzarotta
      Commercial Real Estate Broker
      finding space for breweries in Southern California
      former owner and brewer, Crown City Brewery, Pasadena CA

Comment

Working...
      X