Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressor failure

Hi,

One of the copper pipes inside my cold water tank ruptured because of too much ice. Water went into the pipe and back to the compressor. The compressor failed and it has to be replaced. Repairing it in this part of the world (Asia) is not worth. Copper pipes going to the water tank will be replaced and pipe inside the tank will be repaired and flushed.

I am afraid the flushed pipe could rupture again in the future. My question is, can I install some sort of simple device for my low tech equipment that will stop the system if some water comes into the gas/oil pipes ?

Thank you

Cheers

Boris
    Boris de Mesones
    www.cerveceria.info
    Madrid - Spain

There's numerous freeze safety devices that should have shut your system down prior to rupturing a pipe and contaminating the refrigeration circuit with glycol.

Is your system an "ice builder" (designed to build ice on the coils in the tank and then use the ice as a cooling source during the day) or is it a glycol chiller system that was unfortunately froze up and then ruptured?

If it is an Ice Builder, then it appears the coil simply failed and I'm not aware of a "simple" device that could've protected.

If the system was a glycol chiller system (that is not designed to build ice), then there are pressure and flow controls that can be incorporated to shut the system down when a freeze up could occur. Most of the safeties however rely on operating with the proper glycol concentration- failure to monitor your glycol percentage could also lead to this situation.

Unfortunately you have a real serious problem if the refrigeration system was filled with glycol/water, and depending on the size of the system, your best option might be to replace your cooling system.

It is critical to have a dry and clean refrigeration circuit- with the system contaminated with not only water, but glycol, you have a real challenge to get the system clean and dry enough to that you will have long term success.

I would suggest that you partner with a qualified service contractor to device a detailed plan on cleaning the system up with a combination of dry nitrogen to purge out as much moisture as possible, evacuation to pull the system into a vacuum and boil off any remaining moisture, then aggressively changing both liquid and suction filters/driers until the system tests clean of moisture and also acids. This could also require multiple refrigerant oil changes.

Request a cost bid from the contractor before they begin the work, as I mentioned- it might be more economical to replace the system.

I hope this information is helpful and wish you luck in getting the your system back online.

Best Regards,

Jim
    Pro Refrigeration Inc.

Comment

Jim, thank you very much for your very clear and complete information.

The system is a glycol system. I was running it at + 1.5 degrees C. The amount of glycol used was very low, I guess 1 per cent. The ice built was also minimal.

I asked the contractor how he will flush the lines and he said, first alcohol, then nitrogen, then a few times with gas.

The price difference between repair and new is just 1200 US dollars. I asked for a new one, it takes less time.

A few minutes ago he removed the pipe and the surprise is that it is not broken, but twisted and the welding is gone.

The contractor says it is a manufacturers fault (closed long time ago) enhanced by me using almost no glycol and having some ice.

A pic below.

Thank you again.

Cheers

Boris
      Attached Files
      Boris de Mesones
      www.cerveceria.info
      Madrid - Spain

Comment

Working...
      X