Sales Projections Q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sales Projections Q's

As you can see by the below questions I need to speak with a consultant. I would just like to get an initial idea from the Probrewer universe of the following for feasibility.....

As a potential startup 120 person size brewpub operation approximately:

1)what percentage of sales would beer consist of (my research says 55, but do most brewpubs also sell spirits?)

2) If the goal of the operation is to expand to bottling and off site distribution what is an adequete size brewhouse to start that will allow for this type of expansion?

3) how many barrels per week is a reasonable projection? (small city, only brewpub in town)

4) What are typical consulting fees and being from Canada are there any suggestions for a quality consultant?

Thanks in advance to all of the friendly helpful folks out there!!

I am not sure what the local licensing laws are. I guess they change from state to state. Perhaps some of Canadian guys can respond and put me in my place, but when I was looking at moving out to BC a few years ago, you could run a brewpub, selling to that brewpubs customers only, or you could run a brewery, but then were not allowed to own any retail outlet or have an interest in one. You were not allowed to run a brewpub and distribute to other outlets, even if you did not own them. I was told that changes were being considered though, so perhaps this has changed.

Cheers

PS - anybody need an experienced brewer wishing to move out to the Rockies. Mind you, whether I would find time to do any brewing with all the skiing, boarding, cycling etc ......
    dick

Comment

Dick, do it!!! I was a brewer in Colorado for four years, and if family responsibilities weren't keeping me on the East Coast, I'd be back there in a flash.

I've been out of the loop for several years, but I'd be glad to put you in contact with my remaining contacts out there.

Cheers, Tim

Comment

Sales #'s

We are a multi-unit brewpub chain and our liquor mix is:
        73% food
        18% Brewery
        9% Wine/ other Beer

We started with a 10 BBl brew house (1998) and have added a few fermenters and now have outgrown the facility.

45-50 bbls per month for on premise, very busy area only brewpub in area 200 seats. (4.5-5 filters per month)

Learn the Restaurtant business. Find a quality brewer!
        Be involved in the brewpub daily forever! Treat your employee's like gold! Your presence can not be matched!
        Kai Adams
        Sebago Brewing Company
        www.sebagobrewing.com

Comment

Hello,

In former times I worked for years brewing for a multiunit brewpub operation, and our best performing units had numbers very similar to what kai gave. Dick's comments about local ordinances are also very important. They will of course dictate your business growth strategy. Both on or off premise. I have spoken with brewer / breweries where house brewed beer sales can account for 75 % (or more) of sales. These places typically have very limited menus, and really function more as strictly a bar or pub. This will of course effect liability insurance, etc. It really comes down to what sort of business you would like to run. As for size, that is impossible to sat without more information regarding local ordinances and overall business strategy and projections. In general I would think the best advice would be to take on as small a debt load as possible. Buy a smallish system (10 BBL) that allows you the potential for growth for years by simply adding fermentation and maturation tanks, and additional brewery staff as needed. A great way to get into trouble is to buy too large a system for too much money, and then not meet your sales projections. But either way, as Kai said, treat your employees like gold, hire a good brewer, and be very involved in the business every day.

Aloha,
          Ron

Comment

Working...
          X