Pros and Cons of Combi Tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pros and Cons of Combi Tanks

What are the pros and cons of the combination HLT and Mash Tuns? How are they better or worse than 2 separate vessels?

TIA

Hi,

One disadvantage is, that for a production brewery, your hot liquor tank will not be very large - OK for a pub brewery, but not OK if you are conducting many CIPs in a day (BB tanks, unitanks, filler, wort lines, etc).

I suppose they are good if low on floor space.

If you are doing a production brewery and get a deal on a brewhouse like that, just consider putting in a separate hot liquor tank to service the non-wort production needs of the brewery.

Cheers,

Alex

Comment

Combi Tanks

I agree with Alex. It is difficult as you grow and if you are going to sell beer off premise you really start to use water with keg washing. Double brews are tough too. We end up filling the HLT, Kettle and if we have an open fermenter we fill that too. That way you have ample water for your second sparge already heated up!

Good Luck!

Kai Adams
      Kai Adams
      Sebago Brewing Company
      www.sebagobrewing.com

Comment

Hello,

As with the other posts, size of the HLT can be an issue. Another not yet mentioned is location. I have worked with them either under the MT or under the kettle. Under the kettle worked out just fine. The vessel was already nice and warm during runoff and came to boil very easily. Under the MT can cause a rising mash temp as water is heating up to sparging temp. Rise amount and rate can tend to change with grist weight, and H20 to grist ratios. This can be a good thing or a bad thing. Either way it is something to be aware of.

Aloha,
        Ron

Comment

Combination tanks are often used in brewpubs. By not having an extra tank you may have room for a larger bar area or more tables.

MoreBeer

Comment

Working...
          X