Walk in Kolpak Moisture and Mold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walk in Kolpak Moisture and Mold

Aloha from Kauai, new to the site and have some questions. I will start with our biggest challenge at our monastery.

We have a large walk in fridge for keg conditioning and storage at 40F. There is a white, powdery mold-like growth everywhere and im wondering if anyone can help solve this. After about a month, a whole keg is coated.

I recently inquired about some moisture reducing panels from Lowermyhumidity.com, which recommends their ProTEC Green Air Junior panels for $280 each, needing two. Anyone use these?

Thanks.

Rajan
    Head Brewer of Kauai's Hindu Monastery.

Are you sure it's mold? We've not seen mold like this before. If it is mold, I've found that the best defense is cleaning--not humidity control. Use a quaternary ammonia compound and a foaming sprayer to coat everything. Be meticulous. Hope this helps!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Quat is more of a preventative- use soapy bleach water to remove and kill mold, THEN apply quat to keep it from coming back. Biggest thing in walk-ins is keep them dry: turn off hoses when not in use, fix leaks etc.
      Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
      tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
      "Your results may vary"

Comment

Awesome

will begin following the advice.

Many Mahalo's

Comment

Originally posted by gitchegumee
          Are you sure it's mold? We've not seen mold like this before. If it is mold, I've found that the best defense is cleaning--not humidity control. Use a quaternary ammonia compound and a foaming sprayer to coat everything. Be meticulous. Hope this helps!

We did some lab testing and found it to be a mold-like-substance. I wasnt closely involved...

Comment

Working...
          X