No announcement yet.

How fast does O2 come out of solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How fast does O2 come out of solution?

I am brewing a Munich Helles today. I am going to KO at about 63º and let the glycol chill the wort to 49º then ill pitch from a corny. I am wondering if the O2 that I have inline to the conical will come out of solution in the time it takes to chill the wort to pitching temp. Is it as simple as putting a butterfly valve on the CIP arm to keep O2 from escaping after I KO?

It breaks out pretty damn fast. In the interest of simplicity why not just pitch at 63 (or however low your H/X can get it...I'm assuming that's the lowest it can get based on the question), and let your glycol system take it down over 12 hours or so to 49 while also giving the yeast a chance to 'come alive'. It is SOP in many breweries to ferment the first day at around 58-62 and then turn the glycol on and drop to 48-52. I've done both ways and haven't seen a difference in beer quality.

Comment

for a german helles you should pitch you lager yeast at 2-4c below your fermentation temp as to not shock the yeast.but as far as o2 i would push the yeast with o2 and and close the blow off to keep the o2 in solution and the next day slowly releave the pressure.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I am extremely hesitant about pitching warm and chilling with any lager. Also from what I understand straight O2 into yeast is toxic to them and can kill them fast. I ended up adding more o2 then normal at KO. I put a butterfly valve after KO so hopefully that kept the O2 in the tank. Then I let the wort chill to 47º (Only took 2 hours) and pitched. First time brewing a lager in this brewery, hopefully it comes out all right.

Comment

Working...
        X