Sanitizing Kegs with O3 / Ozone / ozonated water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanitizing Kegs with O3 / Ozone / ozonated water

I was wondering if anyone out there has experience with sanitizing kegs with ozonated water?

I have spoken with one person who does, and a few who use it on bottles or F tanks, but I would like to know how it works with kegs? Any problems with oxidation of beer from insufficient CO2 purge after? Any degradation of plastic/rubber parts issues?

My main concern is how people are using it, or why they are not using it?

Thanks in advance.
    __
    Kushal Hall
    Common Space Brewery
    Hawthorne, CA

Very tricky stuff. Google this article - Vineyard & Winery Magazine ozone in wineries 2003 part 1. There is a great article in PDF by Marne Coggan Sorry I don't know how to get this android thing of mine to paste a link for you. If you can't find it PM me but it is really worth reading.

Comment

Every brewery I've worked at/with has used a conventional caustic CIP followed by steaming, for kegs.

As regards oxidation, beer will pick up O2 if there's any in the keg during fill, no matter what the cleaning regime, if it hasn't been purges fully with CO2 or N2.

Hope that helps!

Comment

obvance- thanks, good article.

KWLSD- Yes the quality of the purge is the issue.

I suppose I was wondering if due to higher-than-air levels of O2 in the keg from using ozonated water have caused any noticeable difference in DO levels or oxidation of kegged beer?

Anyone using Ozone in kegs or Bright tanks want to comment?
        __
        Kushal Hall
        Common Space Brewery
        Hawthorne, CA

Comment

Working...
        X