Kettle Power Vent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kettle Power Vent?

We are getting ready to install my steam vent for my kettle (8.5 barrel steam powered) and was wondering if it needed a power vent to help pull the steam out. I has to go up about 14 feet before reaching the ceiling. My only concern is that some of the diacytal and other volitiles that come off in the steam. What are the recommendations out there, power vent or not?

Cheers

I would recommend getting one cause it help control boil over and and help with boil off. won't hurt getting one.

Comment

any recommendations on where to get one? I am struggling with low boil off and may need to go this route as well...

thanks
      Scott LaFollette
      Fifty West Brewing Company
      Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

Ours goes up almost 20 feet. No power vent. But there is a doohickey on the top of the stack that helps create low pressure to draw the steam out.

No problem with boil (20 bbl steam fired) and no problem with evap rates. I'm not sure it's worth the money unless you are in an area that is cold enough that you will get significant condensation on the inside walls of the stack (and even then a dogleg and condensate trap could work, or insulated pipe).

If there are lots of bends in it, friction could become an issue...but it sounds like you're going straight up.

Comment

Just posted this on another thread.

We have an Inline Flue-Gas Exhauster. Copy and paste the address below.

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.
          Joel Halbleib
          Partner / Zymurgist
          Hive and Barrel Meadery
          6302 Old La Grange Rd
          Crestwood, KY
          www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Originally posted by Natrat
            Ours goes up almost 20 feet. No power vent. But there is a doohickey on the top of the stack that helps create low pressure to draw the steam out.

No problem with boil (20 bbl steam fired) and no problem with evap rates. I'm not sure it's worth the money unless you are in an area that is cold enough that you will get significant condensation on the inside walls of the stack (and even then a dogleg and condensate trap could work, or insulated pipe).

If there are lots of bends in it, friction could become an issue...but it sounds like you're going straight up.

natrat, could you explain further this doohickey for which you speak? Your stack height is similar to mine. I just have a "chinamen's hat" design on the top of mine. If there is a different top that would work better, i would love to go that route rather than install a fan...
            thanks
            Scott LaFollette
            Fifty West Brewing Company
            Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

It was there when I arrived. I'll see if I can find some info on it...

Stay tuned.

Comment

kettle Power Vent

Call Shawn Rogers at Patterson Fan
                1120 Northpoint Blvd.
                Blythewood SC 29016
                Toll Free: 800-768-3985 ext# 146
                Local: 803-691-4750

Tell him Trent at Shades of Pale referred you, he called me a couple weeks ago to check into see how things where working. We have been running this for over a year now with no issue, no DMS.

The stack fan sucks your hair in through the manway if you get to close. We are running close to what you run and rise about 14 feet from the top of the kettle. This thing really sucks with no problem.

send me a PM with your email and I will send the specs, tool large to attach

Good luck
                Trent
                Shades of Pale
                Park City UT

Comment

Working...
                X