Malt mill sys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malt mill sys

I am a headbrewer for a new nanobrewery about to open. We are having an issue with finding a milling unit. I have talked with "Crankandstein," and others no one knows of an all in one system for milling grain.
    I have called Grainger as well for buying the explosion proof and gearbox and that is about 1k.

Any websites or help will be very appreciated.
    azcellars@gmail.com

We got ours from Premier Stainless.
    Chris Enegren
    www.enegrenbrewing.com

Comment

I just put together the 328D "commercial" 3-roller mill from Crankandstein . They just sell you the rollers and frame. You have to build your own stand and hopper and get your own motor and pulley to drive it. It took me less than $100 in wood and hardware and one afternoon of time for the frame and the motor system was about another $250. It will crush a 55lb bag in 2 minutes. I have only used it for one batch but it does a great crush fast and is very quiet. I was using a JSP mill before and plain wore it out after putting 15,000 lbs of grain through a homebrew mill.
      Last edited by CopperKettle; 06-18-2012, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Here is one of the simplest designs I have found. Not sure if the motor is still available but you can easily find another one to work. I found it would bind up if I ran rye or wheat so I restricted the hopper inlet to the mill to about half the full bore and have never had another problem with it. The Bodine is not explosion proof but I just put duct tape over the vent holes facing up. Good Luck.

Joel Halbleib
        Partner / Zymurgist
        Hive and Barrel Meadery
        6302 Old La Grange Rd
        Crestwood, KY
        www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

They make totally enclosed motors with capacitor start already built in. They cost a bit more but are easier to install and then you don't worry about dust buildup in the motor ever. My mill start to finish was about $600. If you want to crush 1500+ lb/hr don't skimp on the motor. 1/2HP minimum. I also did mine with v-belt drive, I think it is easier to do than having to line up the input and output shafts and couple them directly.

Comment

Thank you everyone

This and the water have been the two most lenghty decisions for starting our nanoBrewery.

If anymore input or thoughts please pass along.
            azcellars@gmail.com

Comment

Also remember that you want your mill to turn at 200-400 RPM so you don't shred the barely husks, most AC motors turn at 1500-3000 RPM so a direct coupling to the motor is not advised. a 2inch to 8-9 inch pulley reduction reduces RPM by about 5x.

Comment

mill

We built one and have since upgrade to a larger commercial Apollo and sold this to another nano. Attached is a picture, it used a Cranknstein 320D. The only problem was the gap, it is pretty fine we had it maxed out and it was still pretty tight for our setup, we got good efficiencies but it was a tight mash. We had a slide gate on the hopper to control the flow and a 1/2 hp motor running it. It worked without issue until we went larger.
                Attached Files
                Trent
                Shades of Pale
                Park City UT

Comment

Originally posted by CopperKettle View Post
                  They make totally enclosed motors with capacitor start already built in. They cost a bit more but are easier to install and then you don't worry about dust buildup in the motor ever. My mill start to finish was about $600. If you want to crush 1500+ lb/hr don't skimp on the motor. 1/2HP minimum. I also did mine with v-belt drive, I think it is easier to do than having to line up the input and output shafts and couple them directly.
                  We're looking to do 1500-1800 lbs/hr of milling... any one know of a good route for that? Seems the crankenstein is a tad small for that.

Comment

Engl with a 5.5 horse on it does just fine. Takes us about 20 minutes to mill in 700lbs, and that's 'cause we have to open the malt bags.
                    Russell Everett
                    Co-Founder / Head Brewer
                    Bainbridge Island Brewing
                    Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1382361_519782634784193_97500181_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	190454

We are using a RMS Roller Mill with two 9" X 6" rollers and are very happy with it. It is rated for 2,000 lbs and hour. I have actually put through 1600 in 20 minutes.

Jeremy from Copper Kettle came over to take a look at it and ordered one himself for his expansion.

I also used this mill on two consultation projects I helped open last year and they are also very pleased with it.

Talk with Rusty at MaltHandling.com

Comment

Working...
                      X