Media you use to create a starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media you use to create a starter

We are starting up a 1bbl Nano. I am in the process of establishing our procedure for building starters.

I think I have pitching rates down. Thanks to Chris Whites practical guide to Beer Fermentation.

My concern comes down to costs. What is the least expensive way to propigate yeast.

On a small 10 gallon scale using DME as your wort medium works. But when brewing 31 gallons I am going to need 4 packs of 100 billion yeast and a 31 liter starter.

What is the most cost effective way to build up a 1.040 31 liter starter? DME is horribly expensive when you get into larger batches like that.

a 50lb sack of DME is around $130.00 or $2.6 per lb. I would need about 7lbs of DME for a 31 liter starter.

So with yeast at $6.00ea x 4 plus $18.00 in DME = $42.00 for a 1bbl starter...

While labs will sell a 1bbl pitchable pack for $103.00 but thats still alot.

Maybe using Malt extract instead of DME?

What do you guys do on a larger batch volume level?

You could always just run a 1 bbl batch of wort at 1.040 as your starter media. The malt bill would naturally be your base malt, there would be plenty of FAN and you will know the amount of fermentables as you control the mash. You could bottle and freeze the remaining wort for use in later batches....just retain a sterile environment.

My $.02

Comment

Working...
    X